Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi guys,

I have 3 ipods: a 60g G5 for the car, an 8G Nano for the gym & running and an 80G for when I want all my music on the move.

What is the best way to manage all 3 with itunes. ??? :confused:

Your help is much appreciated.

TIA :)

/Bongolo

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm not sure what you mean... iTunes will manage each separately, with separate preferences, which you could all set to be the same if you want.

What is it you want to be able to do?

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Your 80 gig should be set to automatically sync to all music, and all folders.

60 gig and 8 gig nano should be set to automatically sync to a specific playlist, this way whatever songs you add to those playlists they'll get sync to your desired ipod;) .

Bongolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly.

I keep my music in a music folder, sorted by Artists / Albums.

The way I do it ATM is by dragging the music I want on a particular iPod into iTunes and sync, then if I want to update another iPod, I remove the music from iTunes, drag the music I want for the other iPod and then sync again.

This is very time consuming and I was wondering if there is a way within iTunes or a plugin to just select an ipod from a menu of some sort and only the music for that particular iPod would appear and I would be able to add remove without it affecting the library for the other ipods.

I am not keen on managing with playlists.

I hope this makes sense as English is not my native language.

Many thanks for reading. :)

I look forward to your replies.

/Bongolo

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Make 3 different playlists:
Car
Gym
On-The-Move
(or whatever).

Set your iPod settings for your 60gb G5 to only sync the Car playlist.
Set your iPod settings for your nano to only sync the Gym playlist.
Set your iPod settings for your 80gb to only sync the On-The-Move playlists.

Drag the music you want for each iPod into the appropriate playlist. I know you're not keen on managing playlists, but it's less work than what you're currently doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.