Managing SSD and external HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hornzog, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hornzog macrumors member

As of the 2011 refresh I am a first time mac owner - and loving it so far.

However, like many of us, i'm looking to upgrade to an SSD probably around 120GB and use my current HDD as an external.

I am just curious to know exactly what files I would need to transfer to the SSD in order to include the OS and all/most applications, and if necessary keeping all associated files on the HDD (Logic 9 Jam Packs for example).

As far as i can work out i should transfer: Applications, Developer, Library, Systems from my macintosh HD to new SSD?

Also, with these new SSD's around the corner what should i go for? I was originally going to go for the OWC Mercury Pro.

Thanks.

2. Hornzog thread starter macrumors member

Surely someone must have the almighty knowledge? :rolleyes:

3. iwnz macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the best way but I would hook up the SSD external and do a new install on it as an external target then I would use the Migration Assistant tool in your utilities folder to copy all your user settings to this new install. You can unselect all your data files and choose specifically what data to copy without having to worry too much about the details. Then swap the drive and you're done (after cleaning up your HDD).

Edit: For SSDs I'm holding out to see how much of a price reduction the Intel G3's offer. Rumoured to be released at the end of this month.

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

use Carbon Copy Cloner.

You can hook the SSD up via USB, and copy the HDD to the SSD then just put the SSD in your MacBook and boot up like normal.

I did this just last night.