managing storage on new macbook pros

scott7saunders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Hey,

I an new to all this and have purchased a first macbook pro with retina today of which i love to bits - however, whats the best way of managing the storage space as the machine I have comes with 128SSD.

Obviously installing programs, using photos and music etc is going to cause this space to go very quickly - how do other users deal with this limited space ?

Thanks

Scott

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I an new to all this and have purchased a first macbook pro with retina today of which i love to bits - however, whats the best way of managing the storage space as the machine I have comes with 128SSD.

Obviously installing programs, using photos and music etc is going to cause this space to go very quickly - how do other users deal with this limited space ?
Keep apps and critical user files on the internal drive and use external drives for additional user files, including photos, videos, music, etc.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

scott7saunders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
thanks - I know its probably sounded obvious however I am a long term windows user who finally saw sense (and got a bonus at work) :)

scott7saunders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
dark side ? hahaha

Honestly, I love this little mac- its only the 13 inch one however the quality of the machine, OSx and the screen is just mental!

I did have a rather snazzy Windows machine (2 months old) however had enough of the blue screen of crap and pap battery life so am selling it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
dark side ? hahaha

Honestly, I love this little mac- its only the 13 inch one however the quality of the machine, OSx and the screen is just mental!

I did have a rather snazzy Windows machine (2 months old) however had enough of the blue screen of crap and pap battery life so am selling it.
Yep. I made the switch about 7 years ago and haven't missed Windows at all!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Add an sd card

Hey,

Thanks

Scott
You can add an sd card with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-Expansion-13-Inch-TS128GJDL330/dp/B00MTHLURE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425376043&sr=8-4&keywords=nifty+mini+drive

Use it for media files and you'll be golden....

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd recommend a portable external drive and use that store some of your larger files/folders such as iTunes.