Managing the Hot Spot Feature on iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xultar, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Hey guys,

I just switched to mobile share (I never thought I'd give up my unlimited).
    I've decided to let go of my mifi unlimited and ipad unlimited and just use my iphone 6+ as my hot spot.

My questions are...

Do you guys leave your hot spot on? If you do, what is the impact to the 6+ battery when devices are connected or when no devices are connected?

Should the hot spot it be left on? Are there privacy issues with leaving it on?

Did you change your device name to something more random (if you had something that could be tied back to you) or did you keep what you had ?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It will definitely drain your battery leaving hot spot on. I always just use the default name for my hotspot.

Please tell me you should your unlimited plans, more importantly the ipad plan. Otherwise, you just gave up a free $1000 at least.

3. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I just turned it off auto renew. I kept the account so I don't have to pay for it every dang month if I don't want.

But I don't see a market for it like there was a few years ago. Unlimited plans won't get the rollover data and they get throttled. There's no fun in that. None.

4. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I too gave up my grandfathered unlimited plan for the mobile share on ATT. I was averaging about 4gig a month of data usage through 2014 on two cell phones both iphones, so getting the 6 gigs for WAY LESS MONEY a month was a no brainer. Plus the left over data carries over to the next month so I dont see my self ever going over.

On to your concerns I would say leave the hot spot turned off unless you are going to use it. Its like having wifi or bluetooth turned on. Also just change your password to something only you know.....no need to change the name of the device.

----------

How did he give up 1000$ ? Mobile share plan is cheaper than the other stuff. Im paying 130.00 a month for two iphones unlimted phone text with 6gigs a month. Before I was averaging about 220$ a month for basically the same thing without the personal hotspot feature.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I will add to the toehrs that the hotspot needs to be off when not using it as it will even dent the mighty 6+ battery if used for a long period of time. It is why I went to a cellular iPad Air 2.

Enjoy!

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I never turn my hotspot off as the only two devices that will use it are my iPad and MacBook. Both of which will use wifi over personal hotspot anyway. I have to manually select the option in wifi to activated the connection. I have not found any 'dent' in battery life.

7. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Agreed. I'm beginning to think better safe than sorry myself. I am just going to miss that instant connection I got with the sim.

I may eventually add it as a line of service to my account so I don't need the hot spot for $10 a month eventually. I think that'll be easier and safer with less hassle when I travel.

----------

Anyone know if connecting via bluetooth slower or faster than via wifi?

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Having the hotspot on, even if not being used, will dramatically reduce your battery life. Are you sure you aren't talking about the feature on other Apple devices where it can create a hotspot from that device? If you have your hotspot turned on your phone you can't use WiFi on your phone.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

My hotspot is always turned on as is wifi and Bluetooth. The only time it activates is when I select instant hotspot from my iPad or Mac.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Go look online for how much you can sell an ipad unlimited data plan for. I'm not really talking about the unlimited phone data plan. The ipad plan sells for over $1000

11. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

The iPad unlimited data plan is what he's referring to.