Managing your iTunes library on a laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kfordham281, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I have a 250GB drive in my MBP and see that my free space is getting lower every week. Between programs, iTunes, Aperture, etc, space is dwindling fast. Of things that are taking up space, iTunes is something I feel I need to find an alternate solution for.

My question: How do you manage your iTunes library(s) on your laptop. Do you have multiple libraries on external drives, in the "cloud", other? Share your laptop iTunes management tips. If you only have one iTunes library and it's on your local HDD, you're probably not going to be able to answer my questions. I'm looking for creative solutions to managing your iTunes library(s) on laptops. Thanks for any help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My music library is just over 150GB (over 30,000 songs). I have that divided with part on my 200GB MBP hard drive, and part on an external 200GB drive. The part I keep on my MBP is what I want to have even if I travel and don't want to carry the external drive. For the part on the external drive, I deselected "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > General, leaving that music on the external drive and having iTunes just use it but not make a copy.

3. bov macrumors 6502

HOLY! well i guess im glad my music collection is only about 30GB. But my MBP hard drive is also only 160GB, and only about 20GB remaining. I'm going to have to do a HD replacement soon, maybe with one those new 500 giggers :D

4. Flore macrumors regular

Do you have two separate libraries or do you deselect every time you use the external songs?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It all shows up in the iTunes library, as long as the external drive is attached.

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I have about 200GB of music and I keep it on an external hard drive attached to my airport. From there I stream wirelessly with no issues. I see no reason to have music files directly on my laptop drive unless of course you need/want to access this music away from home.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Long post to come

My music library is about 45 gigs right now (most of that actually being audio books). I have one library on my unRaid NAS which can be accessed from any computer on my local network. The only thing i have to make sure to do is when i set up iTunes for the first time is to point iTunes to the right library (in the advanced section) and then un-check the "copy files to library box". Once i had that library all set up the way i wanted it i downloaded a program called Multitunes. I saved my current running library as "server library" using Multitunes. I then created a new library THROUGH Multitunes (do not do it through itunes it will not work correctly) and hit save. it then relaunched itunes for me and switched over to that new "mobile library". I left everything default for this (the location of the library and all the "copy songs box checked") and then just did an "Add to library" and selected only the stuff i wanted in my "mobile library." I set up all the playlists and everything was peachy. I am now able to select my mobile library when on the road and server library when at home. The best part about this setup is that there are no "!" beside any of the music files telling me the music cannot be found.

Basically what Multitunes does is backup the .plist file, the iTunes Library file, and the .xml file for each library. It stores those files and then rotates them into the iTunes folder depending on which one is selected and in use. Works a treat for my needs!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I bought a 500GB drive so I could move my entire iTunes library from an external drive to my internal drive. Now I have about 160GB free space which I expect to fill up sooner or later.

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I had the same problem. I moved all my Apple lossless files onto an external HDD. I then created a new ITM library on my MBP. Next, I deselected "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" and added all the songs from the external to the new iTunes library. Then changed the import settings to 128 kbps AAC files. Then converted all the apple lossless files to AAC files on the MBP HDD in the new ITM folder. So... I still have everything Apple lossless for burning or listening at home, and I HUGELY reduced the room it took up on my HDD with the new ITM library and I can still listen to all of my music when traveling or on the road.

It takes some time and you should experiment to make sure you're doing it right. Should be an easier way to do it, but this has worked for me. Good luck.