Managing your wallpapers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by palebluedot, Oct 16, 2010.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I was going to post this in the Picture Gallery section since that is where we have our monthly wallpaper threads but OS X seems like a better forum for it.

How do y'all manage your wallpapers in OS X? What software do you use? What method? I personally use iPhoto 09 but it seems like an obtuse method. Every time I want to add a wallpaper I have to add it to iPhone then move it to the Event "Wallpaper". The alternative would be to make a gallery but then you would have a million events with random wallpapers in them within your larger iPhoto Events section. What do you all do re: iPhoto, or do you use a different/better solution to organize and use your wallpapers in OS X?

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I simply organize mine using the Finder. I have a folder in my Pictures folder called Wallpaper. Inside, I have all my desktop wallpaper, and another folder for iPod wallpaper.

For my iPod wallpaper, I have an Automator workflow for cropping and resizing them to fit my iPod.

I only use iPhoto for actual photos, not wallpaper.

3. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

+1

I do the same thing, wallpaper folder in my pictures folder. I also added the wallpaper folder in the desktop preference pane so I can switch fast.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I have Lightroom 3, so I have the luxury of using it's Publish Services feature and simply make 1920x1200 cropped virtual copies of my favourite images and publish to a "Wallpapers" folder; then add the folder into the preference pane as above.

5. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I also use Finder to organize my wallpapers. I have a folder within my Pictures folder where the wallpapers are stored. Then I use the random order and change every 15 minutes options in Preferences. I use iPhoto for actual photos and not wallpapers.

8. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

This is the kind of stuff that iPhoto is so good at, but not if you try to organize using "Events". I find that organizing using Events is not much better that using Folders in Finder to organize your photos, you still have to know where photos are before you can find them. I use Events only to get similar photos into iPhoto, once into an Event I select the ones that have a similar theme and use "commad + k" to give them a Keyword. Use "Smart Albums" to set up Rules "conditions" that will organize your photos and make it easy to sync with your iPhone. You can have more than one Keyword per photo and more than one rule per Smart Album. Set up as many Keywords and Smart Albums as you need and you can find any photo in iPhoto almost instantly with just a few key strokes. This will also save you from having extra space used and another copy of a photo in Finder.

Attached Files:

9. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

I have a folder called 1920x1080 and one called 2560x1440, and within those there are more folders like Nature, Space, Abstract, etc...
    I try to keep them organized, but it's anarchy in there if I'm honest.

10. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Tagging is important... What if something is both a landscape and an animal picture? How do you keep it as part of a set, and also include it in another category when the rest of the set doesn't belong? Tagging solves all of that.

11. apple-ette macrumors member

I have taken a lazy approach, I just use my Aperture Albums. When I feel like a change, I switch to another Album - I use smart albums based on ratings.

12. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Do you mean tagging on iPhoto? So you keep them in different events/albums?

13. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I was only being theoretical, although I have toyed with javascripts for web-based photo collections. There is probably already shareware for that... something better than iPhoto or anything I could write.