Mandatory data plans are self-damaging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rye9, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was thinking just now, and please correct me if I'm wrong... But why are data plans mandatory? Isn't the main reason that the networks are generally slow become of too many people using data? If so, companies should embrace the small portion of people (those less tech savvy such as my mom) who would like an iPhone but have no need for data.

2. coasterswim macrumors 6502

But then they could not take money from you that you weren't already going to spend.

3. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Because phone companies make their money on service fees and monthly charges, not the phone itself. The reason you get a cheaper (subsidized) phone is because they'll make it up in the monthly fees. They aren't going to sell your mom a cheap phone and then give her a cheap plan on top of that. Doesn't make financial sense.

4. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

It's not that hard to understand why they are mandatory. With a 2 year contract you get the phone at a highly reduced priced. Because of this, the carrier loses a lot of money, so to make that money back (and then some) they make you get a data plan.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Carriers aren't hurting for capacity. Its all a front. By moving away from unlimited they begin to put a monetary, psychological connection to the electrical pulses we've come to know "bandwidth". Such connectivity, while not free, is sold at several hundred times it's actual cost to the end consumer making it the true cash cow of the 2011s, particularly with declining txt revenues (as people move to IM) and mobile video services.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This.

7. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

So with this in mind I can choose to have NO data plan if I buy a contract free phone full unsubsidized price right? Lol it doesn't work this way because AT&T is ficking greedy.

In fact it's stupid to go with a contract free phone because you are still required to have a data plan regardless and to add insult to injury if you paid full unsubsidized iPhone pricing you would've spent 2500+$800 or more dollars in 2 years. Or you could save at least $600 by going subsidized.

8. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

Why would you buy a smart phone and not want a dataplan... get an iPod and a flip phone... problem solved.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T's not the only one to require the data plan, so demonize all of them equally.
    It's not stupid to buy a factory unlocked phone, because then you can choose to go with t-mobile (who doesn't require data) or pre-paid (no data requirement either).
    There are options. It's not our fault that some people have limited imaginations. :rolleyes:

10. kromix macrumors member

To defend the OP:

Yes Amnesia87 in your case, my case, and 99.99% of the people on this forum' case this is true. However there is a large population of people who don't come on forums like these who would like to have an iPhone even if they paid full unsub'd price for it and not have a data plan, just use it over WiFi instead of carrying around an iPod Touch + flip phone.

However, they can't because even if you pay full price you STILL have to have a data plan, ridiculous, and hopefully one day they put a stop to this.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I could easily go without a data plan. Wifi is virtually everywhere where I am. I probably use wifi more than 90% of the time I use my iPhone.

12. rkahl macrumors 65816

Get an iPod Touch and use Skype (the kind you get pay $30 a year with a phone number and voicemail).

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just be thank ful you aren't trying to use a full subsidy upgrade with tmobile USA.

Tmobile USA forces you to a mandatory data plan for entire 24 months if you want a subsidized smartphone. They even closed the loophole two mo this agao when you could buy a cheap $50 nokia dumb phone at full price to cancel the mandatory data. Yes this means if you sell your smartphone or lose it you will still have to pay the mandatory smartphone data plan.

At least ATT or Verizon let's you take off the data plan if you aren't using the smartphone.