Manfrotto vs Feisol

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mikeheenan, Jun 12, 2011.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I am currently looking at 2 tripods to purchase:

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/83...XPRO4/_/055_carbon_fibre_Q90_4-section_tripod

and

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-traveler-tripod-ct3441s-rapid-p-38.html

I am tall (6'3") so both of these offer enough height. The Feisol weighs less, and folds up to a smaller dimension, and will probably fit in a backpack, which would be perfect for travelling. But I like the fact that the Manfrotto has the horizontal adapter already included, which Feisol charges extra for. Anyone have either of these and can offer pros and cons?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

How stable do you need this tripod to be? I have a Manfrotto, it was bought purely because it was heavier than other tripods. The light weight / super collapsible ones tend to be flimsy, and won't hold steady when you need them. (zoom lenses or long-exposure photos)

I realized how utter crap just about any tripod is, after using some military-grade imaging equipment on a tripod...

3. H2Ockey macrumors regular

I have a feisol monopod and it is great, the company is pretty good to deal with as well. i've heard lots of great things about their tripods as well relating to other top end CF ones. From quite a bit of research i've done combined with the monopod from them when it comes time for me to actually bite the bullet and purchase a new tripod I will be getting a feisol.

There heads? Not so much, i've read a lot of bad things about both the ball heads and gimbal heads not even being in the same ballpark as the ones they look to be modeled after. And yes some of the very negative reviews about the heads came from the same people who spoke glowingly about the legs.

4. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i've got a Manfrotto, it's nice and sturdy. the horizontal feature is nice.
    If at all possible find a camera store where you can test them out. sadly though camera stores are become less common,

5. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Manfrottos tripods are pretty good, I have a 055XPROB - but I do not use any of the Manfrotto heads. I've got a Wimberlley Tripod Head version 2. It's excellent for use with the bigger super-telephoto lenses (anything 300 F/2.8 or bigger).

That Feisol one is compact though, and that's a big benefit if you are travelling. Mine does not fit in a backpack.

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had a Manfrotto tripod and it was goody, but I felt that it was heavy. I replaced it with a carbon fiber Gitzo.

7. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I debated this option too....Ultimately I went in for the Feisol...Looking back...no regrets. The tournament class of tripods are well made....

8. iphonepiephone macrumors regular