Manga on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by R.R.Mac, Jun 12, 2010.

1. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

I'm seriously thinking about getting an iPad but primarily for reading Manga on it (no it is NOT the same as marvel comics so please no talking about them). Does anyone use their iPad for manga and does it look good? Is it easy to read and do you get eyestrain?

Thanks!

2. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Yes, yes, no.

And for the question you didn't ask: Comic Zeal

3. miamijim macrumors 6502

Got over 500 comics on my iPad.....

Comiczeal FTW

End thread :)

Oh and get comiczealsync free program for your Mac or pc converts all your jpg type files into comics and syncs hem all over wifi to you iPad..... Nice

4. R.R.Mac thread starter macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

5. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

Comic Zeal sucks. Get cloud reader. No conversion needed and it's free. Supports USB transfers, and MANY file formats (cbr, cbz, zip, jpg, png, rar, etc)

6. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Of course it's a matter of personal preference. I'd recommend you try cloudreaders because it's free.

I'm not a huge fan of it though.

And comic zeal supports USB transfer as well.

7. Dekimasu macrumors regular

unfortunately the phrasing of your request to keep marvel comics out of it had the opposite effect on me.

comics are [manga are] comics.

some japanese manga is basically the same (artistically, thematically) as marvel comics. not much sense in making a loanword-based distinction as far as i can tell.

8. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

I read both manga and American comics and think mostly there are very few similarities.

9. miamijim macrumors 6502

I just installed cloud reader and I must say I find comiczeal to be a much easier ui to use. Plus I have all my comics on comiczeal and there is. O way to import them into cloud reader even though they are already on my iPad.

10. gigades macrumors newbie

I'm using Manga Storm for reading manga from websites. It's free and very cool.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You're right. Japanese films similarly can't be referred to as 'movies,' because they're culturally distinct.

Oh, wait.

The comic book is a medium. In any normal conversation, the terms are fungible. The only time you'd get picky about it was if you were specifically trying to differentiate between the two ("I love manga, but I hate American comics").

12. outphase macrumors 65816

I think the distinction is that Marvel has its own app which looks pretty good, but manga is usually cbr/cbz files and unofficial.

13. StevenMontain macrumors newbie