Mangled Refurb MBP from Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Jun 27, 2012.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

When they revealed that the new MBPs did not have an antiglare option, I rushed and ordered an antiglare previous gen MBP from the Apple refurb store (plus I wanted a large hard drive, and a superdrive). I wasn't really in a position to shell out $2k at this point, but my current MBP is 3.5 years old and I don't want to get stuck with a glossy screen in case it dies and is too expensive to repair.

Anyway, I was counting the days until it arrived and today was what I thought would be a happy day because my laptop was scheduled to arrive. Unfortunately it did not arrive in the condition I was hoping for. There was a puncture hole in the side of the box and when I opened it, it looked like the unit took a hit.

Even though it is a refurbished laptop, I would have thought they would have put more care and consideration into it. it's It looked worse than something I purchased off ebay from a private seller! The MBP was packed in a flimsy cardboard box suspended by some easily compressed foam. I would have thought they would have packed it in a standard MBP box (I mean, how much does it cost them?) then put it in a shipping box.

Upon removing the laptop from the foam, I noticed that one corner of the laptop has been crushed although there is no indication of this on the box! The seal on the clear plastic packaging was broken, and was covered in dust due to the exposure to the elements due to the hold in the side. I tried powering up the unit and it had a washed screen, plus the corner was so damaged the charger was useless.

I immediately called Apple who wanted to replace it with another refurbished unit. I was really disappointed with their refurbished program and decided to get a refund. Now I wait for a return email from Apple.

I'd say UPS is to blame, but also Apple for doing such a horrible job packing this machine. I realize this is a refurbished unit, but for almost $2000 they should be putting a little more effort into protecting it.

Attached Files:

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

3. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Far out man. I hope they do something about it!

4. KPOM, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

KPOM macrumors G5

That is their standard refurb packaging, unfortunately. I've had good luck with refurbs, but I understand your point completely. The box doesn't provide much protection against rain or bumps.

5. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

They offered me another refurbished unit, but this doesn't give me confidence that they regard their refurb units with the same high standards you'd expect from Apple.

I can't use glossy screens so I'm kind of on the fence here: to keep limping along with my older MBP antiglare, gamble on a refurb again, or hope that the rumours are true about a antiglare iMac coming.

6. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

I would say the chances of getting another nasty refurb like that are incredible slim. Even though it looks like a less than adequate pack job, i THINK thats how even retail new MacBooks arrive to the stores for their inventory. A standard retail box inside a larger UPS/fedex cardboard carrier.

I know it sucks, but sometimes weird things happen during shipping. I had an engine show up to me completely ruined one time after very obviously falling from something high. It was no fault of the shipper, you just reach a point were further packaging would serve no benefit because only something very major would cause damage. not saying thats where your macbook was, but I wouldn't count on it happening twice.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I would have to assume that larger retail outlets do not use Fedex to deliver their inventory. The computers are delivered to a warehouse on a palette and then shipped using the company's own shipping vehicles to the retail outlets. This is the case for stores like Best Buy. I would have to assume that the Apple store uses a similar process. I wouldn't trust UPS with my stock, that's for sure.

8. Rmafive macrumors 6502

They should offer something more than just another refurb after having to deal with that!

9. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Yeah, you are right, I didn't make myself as clear there.

When i worked at Best Buy, I meant that I saw the laptops show up in standard retail packaging inside another cardboard carrier. However, those were on a cellophane wrapped pallet that showed up on a best buy truck. But, we would receive nonstandard deliveries (new stuff, promotional items, etc.) via FedEx or UPS in just those standard carriers.

Although, IIRC I received my 2010 MacBook Pro from the online store It was the same. Standard retail package inside another cardboard box via FedEx.

10. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Apple's refurbs are second to none. You get a brand-new outer casing with any refurb you buy so any parts of the device that would've seen wear and tear as a result of human interaction are brand new. I just ordered two refurbed AirPort Express base stations and both of then looked 100% brand new (including the power bricks and cables).

If Apple's offering you another refurb just like the one you ordered, take it. Heck, the shipper destroyed the package, not Apple. Just be glad Apple isn't making you send the old one back before they send out a replacement.

BTW, not saying you're doing this, but there's an alarming trend recently of folks trying to get underhanded freebies out of Apple. What's up with that?

11. whdigital macrumors regular

I guarantee you that is NOT how the unit left Apple's refurb group! The boxes they pack it in are fine and every refurb I've seen, including an exact copy of the one you bought that I bought last month, arrived looking as though human hands had never touched the thing.

That's a massive shipping claim pure and simple, but it sucks you get to be the one to have to experience this rarity. I would encourage you to have confidence in a refurb being a nice way to get a perfect Mac at a savings.

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

It's not clear to me: did the unit come double-boxed? From what you wrote it sounds like it arrived in a single flimsy cardboard box.

The only refurb I ever bought arrived in the original retail box inside a shipping box. There was a golfball-size hole in each box but the holes did not line up when it arrived. I surmise that the iMac was returned to Apple because of the damage to the boxes, the computer was checked out and then packed in the same boxes for resale.

I had another iMac arrive with a large hole through both boxes. It looked bad but the computer worked fine. I didn't bother returning it and I am still using it almost five years later...

13. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

It did not come double boxed though the box it came in was sealed. However the plastic that is normally wrapped around the laptop did have it's seal broken.

The foam inside is designed to fit the laptop only, not a laptop in a box. If the rest of you received a refurb double boxed, please let me know. This whole thing doesn't seem right.

14. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

How far are you to the apple store? I guess it is better for you to bring it to the genius bar rather than getting another shipment. Which is, you send the defective unit then you need to wait for the replacement. Which you don't know what condition it is gonna be. Too much hassle.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

I am struggling here to understand what the HE-- you are talking about. It was clearly damaged in transit. Apple offers another one. Take it. Whats all the BS about confidence. Do you want one or not?

This thread reminds me of the Sinfeld episode...you know the one "Jerry is a show about nothing".

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I think the OP was hoping Apple would offer him a Brand New unit in compensation and was disappointed when that (was never gonna happen) didn't happen.

You got a lemon and they offered to immediately swap it out...not sure what else you wanted from them.

17. leman macrumors 604

I second this. What is the point of the 'my package was damaged' threads anyway? You just had the bad luck of getting your box damaged out of 10000 or so customers. These things happen. And its absolutely unreasonable to blame Apple for this. There is a reason why they insure the shipments btw.

18. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Apple does NOT have its own shipping trucks. They use UPS, FedEx Express, and FedEx Freight....

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That sucks but at least you get a replacement.

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

All Apple has to do is swap it out for another refurb. My last MBP was a refurb and it was perfect out of the box

21. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Looks like the foam might have been too tight a fit and actually squashed the Mac. They gotta be careful how they package those things.

22. macjolt macrumors member

I really doubt a bit of packing foam would be able to crush an aluminum case.

23. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Get another refurb and I think the next one will be fine. I know of a few people who swear by refurb's and they have never had one arrive in the condition yours did.

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm not seeing the problem. The shipper messed up, not Apple. Apple is taking care of it by offering a replacement. Whet else do you want? That's the same packaging my refurb came it. As printed out its standard for refurbs.

25. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The refurb I got in 2008 was packed in a box like you show, which was then placed inside an actual cardboard shipping box.

Sounds like you had bad luck with the shipping. There are countless people on here who are extremely happy with their refurbished machines.

One thing though is that you said you ordered a refurbished machine because you needed the antiglare screen. You can buy a brand new 2012 model MBP from Apple with an antiglare screen.