Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I've always wondered how many packing peanuts it would take to fill up the average size house.

Would be especially fun if you could get them with that special mono charged coating they use in lightweight concrete -- so they stick to stuff, but cannot be swept up or stuffed in trash bags easily.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Re: Man's Apartment Encased in Aluminum Foil

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I wish there were photos of this. :D

story here

That is a very intersting find eyelikeart. I would like to see a photo also. Maybe you could get a magazine to send you on special assignment.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Wow, that's truly amazing - you could just imagine what was going through his mind when he walked in the door and saw all that.

Even better that it got national coverage :D

D

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Trerice and his friends unrolled the toilet paper in the bathroom, enveloped the bath tissue in aluminum foil and rolled it back up again. They covered Kirk's book and compact disc collections but made sure each CD case could open and shut normally.

They even used foil to encircle Kirk's spare change -- each individual quarter he had left atop a living room bookshelf.

That is awesome! Kind of like the TLC show "while you were out." :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Reminds me of the wonderful trick some university students played on their fellow dorm student. While he was out, they disassembled his car and reassembled it in his dorm room. I think it was at Cal Tech.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Reminds me of the wonderful trick some university students played on their fellow dorm student. While he was out, they disassembled his car and reassembled it in his dorm room. I think it was at Cal Tech.

Yes, it was at Cal-Tech. It was a Ford Model-T and the prank was pulled at Ricketts House if I remember correctly.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have a book named "Is This the Way to Baker House?" about the history of ingenious pranks (called "hacks") at M.I.T. My favorite was when a police car appeared on top of the "Great Dome" on Building 10.

I found a web page about it.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I have a book named "Is This the Way to Baker House?" about the history of ingenious pranks (called "hacks") at M.I.T. My favorite was when a police car appeared on top of the "Great Dome" on Building 10.

Heh, I have a book called "Legends of CalTech" that has the prank history of CalTech. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
me too...I wanna pull a prank like this one... :eek: :D ;)

it would be quite impressive - you'd need some help and a lot of time. Also someone with a small apartment ;)

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
it would be quite impressive - you'd need some help and a lot of time. Also someone with a small apartment ;)

Exactly. It would be a bit tricky with electronics, esp with plastic & static electricity. I'm quite sure I could round up a few people to help me out if the time ever came to foil someone's place.

Come to think of it, this could easily be done to someone's car. :eek: :D

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
:D I love this prank! It's esentially harmless and does "raise the bar" with the levels of details the friend went to cover everything, and put it back in place.

Come to think of it, this could easily be done to someone's car. :eek: :D

The funniest prank I heard about involving a car was seeing one get the 'shake and bake' treatment. On a hot summer day someone sprayed down a car with low grade vegtible oil and then covered it with about 20? lbs of bread crumbs and seasoning. Apparently the heat of the afternoon sun helped dry up the sludge like oil and make the bread crumbs into a wet, but still kind of crusty coating on the metal and glass. After the owner comes back to his car and the joke is done, the car or paint isn't ruined. They just had to scrape off the windows and head to the nearest car wash to clean up.
:)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
doing that in say Phoenix in the summer when its 110 outside would work nicely.

I still love the chia car :D

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I still love the chia car :D

haha...nice... :D

I used to pull a similar one to a neighbor back when I was about 12. I used to throw birdseed in his garden during the summer. Chances for rain are always 50/50 here it seems, so it almost always rained soon after. I don't know if he ever figured out why his garden kept sprouting. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.