Mantaphrase: interactive app that lets you have a conversation in a foreign language.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wlue, Oct 10, 2012.

1. wlue macrumors newbie

wlue

This week, we launched Mantaphrase, an interactive communication app that lets you have a conversation in a foreign language.

You can find more details in our launch blog post: http://www.mantaphrase.com/blog/2012/10/09/introducing-mantaphrase/

Why? The language barrier is a real problem, and so are the current mobile solutions. Patrick, my co-founder, came back from a 9-month exchange from Japan without knowing the language. Here are some real issues he came across:
    - Google Translate requires a data connection, and you have to type out the whole phrase, a slow process when you are in a rush to ask a question.
    - Native Japanese speakers talk too fast for speech to speech applications to pick up accurately.
    - Phrasebook applications tend to be lists of vocabulary and phrases which is nice for learning, but not communicating.

Here's how it works: Simply find the phrase in mind, and show your phone to the person you want to talk to. Mantaphrase shows what you want to say in their language with large, beautiful text. We enable real two-way conversation by letting the other person respond in their own native language interface. Mantaphrase also offers smart suggestions on what you might want to say next, so that you can seamlessly continue your conversation.

Check it out on the App Store, and let us know what you think.

We're looking for feedback, as this is our first iteration and we're looking for our early users to really let us know what they want.

2. hlkc macrumors regular

I want to help and give feedback since I will be in Tokyo and HK soon. But I afraid I won't paid $4 per language to provide feedback.

3. wlue thread starter macrumors newbie

wlue

The app itself is free to use for a select amount of phrases.