Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dddiam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
When I plug in a camera to the USB port, iPhoto does an automatic download of all photos from the camera to the computer.

I would prefer not to use iPhoto at all, but rather simply have my camera appear as a flash drive, so that I can manually decide what I want to do with the photos (copy, move, delete, etc.).

I tried setting Image Capture preferences to "No Application", but that still went to iPhoto and prompted me to import, rather than showing me a standard file directory with full user control of move, copy, delete, copy back to camera, etc., for individual files.

Eventually, I will get around to buying a card reader, but, in the meantime, how do I configure the computer to behave the way that I want it to?

- David

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Some cameras can be configured to use either "Pict Bridge" or "Mass Storage" protocl over the USB cable. Sounds like your camera is Pict Bridge. Set it to be "Mass Storage". And then the camera with your image files on it will look just like a disk drive to the computer. Then you drag over whatever you like.

But not all cameras can be configured to go either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.