manual fan speed rMBP, hurtful?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davidud, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Davidud macrumors newbie

Hey,

My rMBP 2013 15" fans spin up sometimes and get really loud, for 10-15 seconds, then just spins down again. It doesn't really bother me, except when it happens in class, when I'm just taking notes.

So I was thinking I'd get some sort of manual fan control for that. I just want to make sure that it cant damage anything?

They spin up for a reason, right? Will my computer overheat or whatever if I don't let it cool itself as it wants, even though I'm not really putting pressure on the hardware?..

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They spin for a reason, even when it doesn't seem like you're doing much, you can be. There's really nothing that can be done to prevent the fan from going faster. If there was, you'd risk damage to your machine.

3. Davidud thread starter macrumors newbie

I just find it odd that they spin up so hard, when the only program open is notes or text edit.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The fan does more than cool just the CPU. It also have to cool the GPU and the rest of the system's internals. If just one of those parts gets too hot, the fan turns on.

5. Davidud thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I can't see where I said that the CPU runs hot. Just in general. Nothing should run so hot with just notes open so that the fans have to max out in RPM.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I can't figure out why you think that just because the machine appears to be idle, it isn't. Just because nothing is happening on the screen, doesn't mean that the computer is idle. I was outlining the various parts of the computer that generate heat that is cooled by the fan. I excluded the CPU from that list because it is the most critical and known part of a computer that is cooled by a CPU. In the future, I won't mistake you for knowing that simple part of general knowledge.

7. Davidud thread starter macrumors newbie

I know which components a computer has, and that they need cooling. No need to have a ****** attitude. Since the fans spin up more when doing simple tasks than when I'm really stressing the system, something feels off. And now we're talking tasks that stress the system more in every aspect.

8. Saltymac macrumors member

I dont know if you notice how your cell phone battery heats up when you are hot spotting or have a weak wireless connection and phone is "hunting " to maintain connection. Background heat from power being used. My notebook runs fan on occasion but less after i put 8 gb of ram in it. It is not like my MPro which. Is cranking two or more fans all the time. Now that is bothersome. Sounds as if all is well with your laptop.

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Just to make sure -- have you installed SMC v.1.1? Have you reset the SMC lately?

BTW I don't think any manual fan control app will prevent the fans from spinning. They only allow you to manually set them higher than default, which doesn't really help you.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'd look more into the cause of the issue. I've honestly never even heard/noticed the fans kicking on in my 2012 rMBP.

11. sarthak macrumors 6502

Try this. Mac Fan Control. I haven't noticed any adverse behaviour.

[​IMG]