Manual loading floppy drive in Quadra 700?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by mac1984user, Sep 10, 2015.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I need to replace the internal floppy drive in my recently acquired Quadra 700. Given my lack of success sourcing an auto-loading floppy drive, I'm wondering if it's possible and/or useable to replace the drive with one of the newer manual drives. I wouldn't imagine ejecting a disk would be a problem, but perhaps insertion is a bit more difficult? Anyone with any experience with this or advice? Many thanks!

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Having never needed to do it on the Q700 style case, I can't say exactly. Electrically the drive should be just fine. It's the mounting that becomes a problem with respect to alignment with the front slot.

I know the LCIII (which eventually came with the later drive and scalloped slot) didn't allow easy mounting of the earlier drive, so I'm assuming you'll have trouble mounting it and would need to rig it "just so".

I'd still recommend trying to get the original drive or repair the one you have. What's it doing, or NOT doing? :)

3. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Hey, MacTech68, thanks for the swift response. I agree that an original auto-mounting drive would be ideal. In answer to your question, the floppy drive basically doesn't grab the disk anymore. If I push the disk in manually, it takes it, but it SLOWLY seats it and often not well enough to actually read the disk. I don't think it's a capacitor issue, but it could be, I suppose. It may be that the mechanism is gummed up somehow. It's a Sony drive. Any thoughts?

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68