Manual Migration Done (Almost)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oo7ml, May 29, 2015.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

Hi,

I got new MacBook and after several failed attempts migrating my data over from my old MacBook, i decided to migrate everything manually and re-install everything.

I know have everything set up (almost...)

01 - both of my laptops have 256gb hard drives... however my old MB only has 40gb of space left and my new one has 130gb of space left... how could this be, as i've copied over all of my files and installed all of the same apps (and same versions).

02 - my new MB is called 'Mark's MacBook Air 2' which is annoying... how can i get rid of the '2'

03 - last but not least, iTunes... i've copied over my Music folder but i have not launched iTunes on my new MB yet. Where do i need to copy the files to and what's the best way to set this up.

Thanks in advance to any help you can give.

2. newellj macrumors 601

#2 - try going to Sys Prefs - Sharing and change the computer name. That worked for me. I sold my old rMBP so I also deleted it in my Apple support profile.

#3 - there are probably better ways to do this (target disk mode?) but I moved my iTunes library by copying it to an external drive and then copying it again to the new machine's drive. The default location is, I believe, under Music, so: Disk _/Users/[your user name]/Music. Copy the entire iTunes directory and its subdirectories there. You may need to option-click when you first open iTunes so you can point iTunes to the iTunes Library.itl file.