Manual Updating Graphics driver in Win7 32bit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloudlife, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cloudlife macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to manually update Graphics driver in Win7 32bit for the Macbook pro 13" mid 2010 version with the Nvidia 320M video card.

I download and get this driver: 257.21_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_international_whql

But it doesn't help me at all, says it can't find any drivers compatible with my hardware, even though i selected all the right menus for my card.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm trying to play this one game, but it's bugged and I figure if i install a driver that's 5 months more recent it might help.

Thanks in advance

2. rien333 macrumors regular

I've had the same kind of issue on my mac mini. (NVIDIA GeForce 9400)
    But the solution for me was pretty simple, I just had to update my driver from the windows update menu.
    Maybe you can search on the NVIDIA web site? Not that it ever has helped me, but at least you can try. :)

3. ssn637 macrumors 6502

The NVidia driver version 257.21 does not support the 320M GPU. I recommend you stick with the Apple-provided BootCamp driver, since modifying the stock NVidia driver so that it recognizes the 320M in the MacBook Pros doesn't necessarily lead to better performance. I haven't tried to update to version 257.21 myself, but have had bad experiences with past updates, losing points in 3D Mark06 or even suffering from higher GPU temperatures. If you still wish to try out the stock NVidia driver let me know and I'll provide instructions on how to do so.

4. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

If you really want to manually update it follow the Have Disk method.

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I am pretty sure you still need to edit the inf file for it to install.

I wrote a guide on how to modify your own inf so you can install a driver from nvidia.com

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Those were the instructions I would have provided...thanks for saving me the trouble. Let us know how it works out if you do try it.

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I wrote that myself so you know.

8. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

You don't need to edit it. From laptopvideo2go.com it gives you an edited inf and you just copy it into the new driver folder. Its all in the link.

9. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Just used this myself, great guide. My inf file was nv_disp.inf. That was all I had to do differently. Thanks!!!!