Manually add account to Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .Logan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Hello,

Is there a way to manually configure email accounts you try to add to Mail? Each time I try to add gmail it automatically searches for the servers and forces me to use IMAP when I want to use POP3. I don't need it to "check" the information on each screen.

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Follow the guide here, but I think POP3 is not fully supported between MAil4 and Gmail.

Don't forget to login to the web application, navigate to settings and turn on POP3 within 'Forwarding and POP'.

[​IMG]

Out of interest why do you want to use POP and not IMAP?

3. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

I guess I've just always used POP and don't want to change. I also don't like how for IMAP in addition to my Inbox folder on Mail, there are other folders right from Gmail, I like using just one inbox. If there's anything you can say to persuade me toward IMAP I'm all ears :)

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Keep with the times man...;)

Nah, there is not real reason to change to IMAP if POP works well for you. For me it was annoying reading the mail on my iPhone, and having it still unread on my Mac when I returned to it.

I just navigate my email from within the Inbox folder, I ignore the Gmail folders. What's more you can hide this column altogether in Mail 5 on Lion.

Screen Shot 2011-08-04 at 20.20.38.png