Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I know this has been asked before, but it's been months and I didn't want to revive an old thread. I'm looking for a solution to add an activity so that it's reflected in my move and exercise rings. There are some activities where you can't wear your watch, like playing volleyball or basketball. I'm looking for a solution, either through a third party app or adding it to the Health App on my iPhone, but that doesn't seem to work. I saw an app that might work but a couple reviews say it zeros out all your other activity for the day, including standing. This wouldn't the worst thing in the world IF first thing in the morning I can add the other activity, that I know I'll be doing later in the day, and then have any other activity that's recorded throughout the day added to that. Before I spend a few bucks on the app I'd like to know if there are any other options.

Thanks!

Reactions: MARTsara

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You can't manually add to the Activity app. Also the Health App reads data from the Activity App but doesn't write data (except for your personal info) into the Activity App. Any 3ed party app would have to be an :apple:Watch app and likely could only write data to the Activity App that it actually recorded using the :apple:Watch sensors.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
You can't manually add to the Activity app. Also the Health App reads data from the Activity App but doesn't write data (except for your personal info) into the Activity App. Any 3ed party app would have to be an :apple:Watch app and likely could only write data to the Activity App that it actually recorded using the :apple:Watch sensors.

I wasn't looking to add it to the activity app, I said health app because I knew you couldn't add it to that. I did say add activity so maybe that is where you got confused. When you tap your rings (assuming they're a complication on your watch), it says Activity and then has Move, Exercise and Stand under it. I was just using the generic term.

After playing around for a while I did find a way to do it and it works great. I was trying it add it in the wrong spot. On your iPhone > Health App > Activity > Workouts > Hit the + in the upper right and enter the data: Type of Activity, Calories Burned (you have to calculate / guess) Distance (if applicable), start time and end time.

If you screw something up and need to delete it, delete the workout AND the exercise minutes from the health app.

Reactions: GrumpyOne

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Actually I was more WRONG than that. I was under the impression that you could not add to the Activity App on the :apple:Watch by manualy adding a Workout to the Health App. I don’t remember being able to add to the Activity App manually (via Health) so this must be new in wOS3 (or could be wrong about that too:eek:) I thought (rightly or wronglyo_O) and remember that adding to Health ONLY added to Health and not back into the Activity App. O’well Crow Pie for dessert tonight.:D

Cathy1960

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2017
I wasn't looking to add it to the activity app, I said health app because I knew you couldn't add it to that. I did say add activity so maybe that is where you got confused. When you tap your rings (assuming they're a complication on your watch), it says Activity and then has Move, Exercise and Stand under it. I was just using the generic term.

After playing around for a while I did find a way to do it and it works great. I was trying it add it in the wrong spot. On your iPhone > Health App > Activity > Workouts > Hit the + in the upper right and enter the data: Type of Activity, Calories Burned (you have to calculate / guess) Distance (if applicable), start time and end time.

If you screw something up and need to delete it, delete the workout AND the exercise minutes from the health app.
[doublepost=1496425094][/doublepost]I'm trying to add exercise manually. Which ICON do I start with. I'm trying in the red/green/blue rings and I can't find it. SO new to this and SO much to learn! I walked on the treadmill for 20 min this morning and my watch didn't register it, so I just want to add it.
[doublepost=1496425351][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1496425094][/doublepost]I'm trying to add exercise manually. Which ICON do I start with. I'm trying in the red/green/blue rings and I can't find it. SO new to this and SO much to learn! I walked on the treadmill for 20 min this morning and my watch didn't register it, so I just want to add it.
Found it!! Thanks!

Jbestor

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
When I manually add a workout through the Health App it updates the Exercise ring but not the Move ring in the Activity App. I add in Active Calories when I enter the workout. Anyone have this issue or know why it is not including them in the Move ring?

Fezulu

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2018
I know this has been asked before, but it's been months and I didn't want to revive an old thread. I'm looking for a solution to add an activity so that it's reflected in my move and exercise rings. There are some activities where you can't wear your watch, like playing volleyball or basketball. I'm looking for a solution, either through a third party app or adding it to the Health App on my iPhone, but that doesn't seem to work. I saw an app that might work but a couple reviews say it zeros out all your other activity for the day, including standing. This wouldn't the worst thing in the world IF first thing in the morning I can add the other activity, that I know I'll be doing later in the day, and then have any other activity that's recorded throughout the day added to that. Before I spend a few bucks on the app I'd like to know if there are any other options.

Thanks!
[doublepost=1515506098][/doublepost]If you go into the health app and then click on the ‘health data’ tab (second along bottom), then click on the activity square with bike picture, then scroll down and select workouts and then click the + in the top right corner and then you can add activity. You need to input all the info but it does not affect any of your rings :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
[doublepost=1515506098][/doublepost]If you go into the health app and then click on the ‘health data’ tab (second along bottom), then click on the activity square with bike picture, then scroll down and select workouts and then click the + in the top right corner and then you can add activity. You need to input all the info but it does not affect any of your rings :)
It will close them of you do it correctly. I tried this yesterday on an iPhone SE that I simply don't use anymore and I was able to give myself 65 exercise minutes and 300 move credits to close my rings. This carried over to the Apple watch I paired with it. The only thing that I was not able to "fake" on my apple watch was the steps. I could manually add steps in the health app but they will not show on the watch. The watch will only show the steps that it counts.

Reactions: Fezulu

Loriltx

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2018
[doublepost=1517104040][/doublepost]

I followed this procedure. I then powered off/on both my phone and watch. When they came back up the rings on my watch had updated.

jaishankarsurya

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2018

Will the duration of the workout show up on the Apple Watch

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
It will close them of you do it correctly. I tried this yesterday on an iPhone SE that I simply don't use anymore and I was able to give myself 65 exercise minutes and 300 move credits to close my rings. This carried over to the Apple watch I paired with it. The only thing that I was not able to "fake" on my apple watch was the steps. I could manually add steps in the health app but they will not show on the watch. The watch will only show the steps that it counts.
Just did this because I am waiting in my replacement watch to get here. Didn’t affect my rings at all. The health app has two separate sections, one called exercise minutes and another called workout. The exercise minutes seems to be the one that affects the ring but I can’t mannually add to it.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Actually I was more WRONG than that. I was under the impression that you could not add to the Activity App on the :apple:Watch by manualy adding a Workout to the Health App. I don’t remember being able to add to the Activity App manually (via Health) so this must be new in wOS3 (or could be wrong about that too:eek:) I thought (rightly or wronglyo_O) and remember that adding to Health ONLY added to Health and not back into the Activity App. O’well Crow Pie for dessert tonight.:D
You are normally one of the most accurate and informative people so you get a lot of breaks before you would need dessert. And your fitness dedication makes me look lik a shut-in.

His trip was great because I nevewas knew that but I am wrong a lot.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

Ugh. I did this in an attempt to correct the results of an indoor run. The run came up way short so I went into the health app to put in the actual totals. Once I saw that the change registered I deleted the info that was loaded from the watch. The only problem was it erased the information from the watch where it lists steps and distance. Oh well not a perfect solution but the rings are more accurate now.

Devuystd46

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2018

[doublepost=1524676623][/doublepost]

I was looking for the same thing. I don’t have (or can’t see) “workout”on my health app -> activity. I have exercise, move and stand. I also don’t see the + to add something.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
[doublepost=1524676623][/doublepost]

I was looking for the same thing. I don’t have (or can’t see) “workout”on my health app -> activity. I have exercise, move and stand. I also don’t see the + to add something.
It only shows up when there is already a workout that you did on the watch. The way around this is to go back to a day that you did a workout and then add your manual workout and just change the date.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It only shows up when there is already a workout that you did on the watch. The way around this is to go back to a day that you did a workout and then add your manual workout and just change the date.
It will show up anyway regardless of whether you did a workout or not. You can see this on my screen cap. I am using my 8+ with my Series 3 watches but this screen cap was taken on my SE which I don't use with my watches. The only requirement is that your watch has to have been worn during the time you are adding a workout.

Image-1.jpg

Last edited:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Haven’t done a workout today and the option to manually add one isn’t available.

Attachments

• 81CDA1E0-C8E0-4BB7-A9D2-DD9DEB5F5929.png
    81CDA1E0-C8E0-4BB7-A9D2-DD9DEB5F5929.png
    396.4 KB · Views: 483
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.