Manually add files to iTunes library

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NavySEAL6, Feb 2, 2016.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

This is one of the few workflows I use my laptop for, and I'm wondering if this can be done on iPad (or iPhone)

I would like to download a zip file, unzip, and add files to iCloud music library. Any app or combination of apps that can do this?

Yes the music is legal, these are Hip Hop mix tapes which are usually free if anyone needs to know.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

2. bensisko macrumors 65816

Good question!

You could use GoodReader to download and open a Zip file. I know you can send files to other apps from GoodReader (or play the music directly in Good Reader), so I would think you should be able to send properly formatted music to the Music app.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the music will upload to the iCloud music library from iOS - that may be your block. I've never tried it from that angle, but it would be interesting to try!

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, unfortunately, you can't. You can't add videos to the stock video app, either. Only way to get media into those apps is to buy/download them from iTunes or Apple Music, or sync them from a computer through iTunes.

4. bensisko macrumors 65816

Does this include GarageBand? Do you have to send songs made on GarageBand on iOS to the desktop before they can be played through the Music App?

5. Night Spring, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've never used GarageBand, but I assume that is the case. There's no mechanism in the Music app to accept files from other apps. That is, if you select a MP3 file in any iOS app, and tap "open in..." The Music app doesn't appear as a choice.

EDIT: actually, correction. Music app does show in the open in list, but tapping on it doesn't copy the file to Music. I'm guessing that if you are subscribed to Apple Music, it takes you to a related song on Apple Music.