Manually copy NSData to a resource file

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by scanf, Oct 31, 2010.

1. scanf macrumors newbie

i have some application-specific data that i want to encrypt and store in a file (before i've compiled the app - not at runtime) as a resource in my app bundle. the problem is that my encryption algorithm returns an NSData object that looks like <5956b4f7 b8aecea1 633f6178 18368c78> and if i paste that manually into that file and subsequently read it using stringWithContentsOfFile and convert that string back to NSData to decrypt it, it doesn't work.

bottom line, how can i manually store an NSData object so it can be read later?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. scanf thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i tried that and it kept causing this exception:

-[NSConcreteData writeToFile:atomically:encoding:error:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
    Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[NSConcreteData writeToFile:atomically:encoding:error:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x5a1e480'

Code:
    NSError *error = nil;
    NSString* filePath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"temp" ofType:@"txt"];
    [encryptedData writeToFile:filePath atomically:NO encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding error:&error];

i'm also getting strange compiler warnings:
    'NSData' may not respond to '-writeToFile:atomically:encodeing:error:'
    Initialization makes integer from pointer without cast

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, you tried to use -writeToFile:atomically:encodeing:error:. This is a NSData method you have invented. Look at the NSData documentation (I linked to it in my previous post). Do you see that method? No, bit you do see -writeToFile:atomically: which is what I suggest you use before and what I suggest you use now.

5. scanf thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, i hurredly copied that from a different part of my code where i first tried converting the NSData output to a string then writing it.

anyway, it compiles and runs fine and writeToFile returns YES, but the file is not being written to for some reason. any extra step i need to take to write to the file? i can read from them just fine.

many thanks for your help and quick responses!

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it returns YES then it wrote to the file. Check the path.

7. scanf thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhhh, ok - this is strange. here's the path it's writing to:
    /Users/me/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/4.0/Applications/5F1F25E5-35D8-484E-8853-1589F8E1AB3F/testApp.app/temp.txt

not sure what that location is for as opposed to the app in my build directory. i was expecting to see my project's temp.txt file updated. is that possible?

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not for an app running in the iPhone simulator, no.

9. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

You can't write to your app's bundle. It's read-only. Write to the Documents folder or elsewhere inside your app's sandbox.

However, on the Sim a write to the app's bundle will succeed but on the device it will fail.