manually download mail attachments?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shecky, Jul 24, 2008.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

searched for this but to no avail...

is there any way to set Mail to manually download attachments? if you look at the new iphone commercial you can see they do it there - i cannot replicate this. whenever i open an email with an attachment it downloads the whole thing and can hang the whole phone.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. sagittaru macrumors member

sagittaru

3. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

well, unless I am missing something my 3g iPhone does not. I wonder if it has to do with the file type?

4. aft macrumors regular

odd...I have the opposite problem. I want my iPhone to automatically download the attachments when it receives the message so I don't have to wait to download it once I read the message.

5. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

i found this post in Apple Discussions:

but i am still unable to replicate the above even with 3MB+ attachment sizes. i get the spinner and "Loading..." for a while until the entire PDF is downloaded, then a clickable link to view, not download. wtf? could it have to do with using my own domain POP server instead of mobileme? this is getting irritating.

Attached Files:

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Weird. Mine forces me to manually open the attachments!!! (Like a previous user said) I really want it to do it automatically...haha.

And your saying yours does open them automatically?

7. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

i want to clarify that i must still click on the link (like i posted above) to actually view the attachments (other than photos); what i am trying to do is have the iphone not automatically download the attachment until i tell it to.

as a designer, i tend to get a lot of email attachments from clients with things like source documents, photos, PDFs, etc...

So, i will get email into my iPhone from someone to me@mydomain.com via POP3. I see the message header, and the first 3 lines of the message. i also notice the paper clip indicating it has an attachment; often i need to read/reply to the email even if i do not need to see the attachment.

so, i open the email on the i phone, and i get some amount of time (sometimes multiple minutes worth) of the spinning circle and "loading..."

at which point, the email will show up with a link just like what i posted 2 posts above this one. i can then click the link and it will open (if it can) the attachment in a second or two.

what i want to happen is just like it shows in the commercial. on clicking on the email, it loads the body text and provides a link to allow me to download the attachment if i wish to. i am honestly starting to go a little insane not understanding why i cannot seem to make it act this way and why other users have mail doing what i want it to when it comes to attachments (or at least they think they do?)

if it is relevant at all, i am in the USA using AT+T with a new 3G iPhone.