Manually editing tags

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

In search for going through my music extensive library, all the automation tools i've used have all failed in one way or another..... TuneUpMedia "matches" tracks which are not correct , and while no software is 100% accurate, i finally decided manual entry is the only safe practice.. or maybe part-manual/part automated. I'm still deciding.

In any case, which website do you use for reliable tag sources?

I know Discogs, but i really wanna stay away from community based areas, since how do you know its accurate ?

I would rather trust Amazon, or other ....

This is all based on the iTunes Store itself doesn't have it.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What program are you using for tagging?

I know you mentioned automated tagging software that does batches, but I am curious are you using itunes and then manually clicking on a song, editing and then saving?

Or are you using a third party tagging software that allows you select an album for instance, connect to something like CDDB, pull info down, you see if it is correct and then hit update/save? All of this is done outside of iTunes, but on files that are located within iTunes.

I usually use Amazon.com, or the website of the band if possible and manually type in the information. Especially for stuff that I have that is not mainstream.

I have a few different programs that I use to achieve the above outside of manually typing in every tag.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

i mean manually entering every tag..... since i no longer trust these auto-tagging software to get it right...

Ya, i know it would take a longer time, but to me, its the only solution otherwise any automated software u'd have to back track when it stuffs up and "fix" up or worse more than a handle of albums.

So, i'm kind of trying to find a balance. But i may actually use Shazam,,,, not perfect either (and in usual cases is worse depends on the position in the same song).

4. BasicGreatGuy, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have been using "Tagr" for a few years, and it does an excellent job of doing what you are seeking, OP. You can find slightly older versions online that are free and full use. The newest version is $10.00 For my limited use, I stay with the older free version 3.12

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30610/tagr

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never found any app to be as accurate as manually tagging. Also, such apps may not use the tagging methodology that you prefer. It's taken years to get my library where it is, but it's been well worth the effort.

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Unfortunatly the only app I have found that is excellent is on the windows side, Tag&Rename on the windows side. This is really the only reason I still have windows running on my box.

It is the most accurate with all my tags. I have yet to find anything remotely close on the Mac side.