Manually editing waveforms to get rid of 'spikes'

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by st9046, Jan 26, 2009.

1. st9046 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a live recording of my band where there are distorted 'spikes' here and there where the kick drum has overloaded the signal. Can anyone advise if it's possible to edit the waveform in Garageband 3 to get rid of these and if not, if there's a third-party app I can use ? Alternatively, do I need to go to Logic ? I used to be able to do this kind of thing in Cubase I recall. I have an iMac.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. GibsonMarshall macrumors member

Hey Steve,

I use Izotope RX to do this, but it does a lot more than just editing waveforms. It can get rid of hum, background noises and just about everything else you can think of.

It's kind of an expensive plugin, but it has been worth every penny since I've been using it.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If it is literally just small spikes, then it's quite easy (but a little tedious perhaps) to edit them manually with any waveform editor. I expect even the free ones can do it. Zoom in on the spike, and attenuate it. Or do whatever you want with it.. I use a cheap stereo editor called Sound Studio. But as I say, the free ones can likely do this also.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is the kick on its own track?

5. Jihadjoe75 macrumors newbie

Try recording at a lower volume. I'm a big fan of having a lot of headroom. You get a much broader dynamic range that way even after compression.

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Well...you should always have the right amount of headroom, meaning enough level so you don't get noise, but not too much that you don't get distortion. Compressing a low-level signal can add lots of noise very quickly.

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i normally audacity for most of my wave editing, its free and simple to use

8. st9046 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies all. I feel a bit of a dope actually as I twigged that I had my Zoom H2 recorder set to high microphone sensitivity. Not very sensible when you're recording a live band. It's worked out OK though as I ended up buying Logic Express 8 and I'm really enjoying it. Plus it's got audio editing capability if I need it so it's all good.
    Cheers,
    Steve