Manually Importing Photos to iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kajitox, Jun 8, 2007.

1. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Hey guys, I am just getting used to iPhoto, and I was wondering if there was any way to manually go through and choose what photos to import from the device. Also, I am wondering: can you have iPhoto automatically import to a particular place, i.e., not the pictures folder...perhaps instead my external harddrive? Lastly, can you make it so pictures you delete from iPhoto are deleted from your harddrive?

Thanks!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

1. Far as I know, you can't pick and choose which photos to import with iPhoto. But you can delete the ones you don't want. I could be wrong on this one, though.

2. I believe you can change the location of your iPhoto library by creating an alias of the photo library on an external and putting it where it normally is in the Pictures folder. Never tried it, though.

3. Yes. I think it's option-delete (or command-delete). Or just delete the files, then right-click the trash can in the menu and remove them permanently that way.

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Well, you could copy the photos you like to your external using any folder structure you want. Then you can set iPhoto through its Preferences so that it does not copy files when added to Library. Now you can just drag and drop the folder that contains your pictures from Finder onto the iPhoto Library or album.

4. kajitox thread starter macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Is there a way to change the name of an entire roll?

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You can change a roll name in the bottom left corner after you have the roll selected.

You can also change your default import program to Image Capture instead of iPhoto. (It's in Image Capture preferences). That way you can selectively import them to the finder and only copy the ones you want into iPhoto.

This would actually give you the chance to rename the files as well, which you can't do in iPhoto.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can pick and choose on import via Image Capture. You would then have to add the chosen items to iPhoto manually. You could get round that via importing in Image Capture to a particular folder and add a folder action script to import the files into iPhoto...