Manually removed CD, now mac mini won't start :*(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kpatrick1979, Oct 4, 2009.

1. kpatrick1979 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

As subject line reads, I helped my folks manually get CD out of a powerPC mac mini recently (they didn't have their power cords or monitor with them for software eject). I followed some walkthroughs I found on google which had me pry the casing off, remove about 4 screws from the optical drive metal casing; from then I had to gently just jimmy it out. Screwed the screws back in, popped the casing back in place.

Mom called me when she got home and said the unit was unresponsive when pressing the power button. Help! Don't want to be disowned :)

Kyle

2. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Why couldn't they software eject it at home!?

Regardless, your best bet is to take it to an Apple repair centre, either Apple owned or authorised third party... And in future, I probably wouldn't that again! lol.

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I haven't taken one of those apart, but sometimes such things can be as simple as loose ram or cable.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

How far away are you? Like the Lemon above said, maybe the power isn't switched on at the wall, or the monitor is off, or the keyboard is unplugged etc. Maybe walk through these things on the phone. Maybe RAM needs reseating or optical drive cable came loose.