Manually setting up the bootloader?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nitromaster, May 25, 2008.

1. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

I installed Windows Vista the last day with a custom install disc made from an official disc. (Un-nessacery crap removed, etc)

Installed fine

My mac then restarted after the installation, it booted the windows installetion disc (thought it was normal to run it again after to set up accounts etc, been a long time since I installed windows)

I then restarted , removing the disc first.
    My mac booted osx, no option for windows/osx.

The partition which I installed Windows on appeared on my desktop.
    It seems Windows installed correctly, however the partition is now called 'Untitled' and I'm guessing this is why I don't get the bootloader to choose between Windows/OSX when booting.

Any ideas?

2. littleb2005 macrumors member

u do get a boot loader but it hidden hold option down during bootup to select windows xp or macosx

or use system prefrences and go to startup disk and select your untiled volume as startup disk

3. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

4. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

There are other ways to choose also. In System Preferences the "Startup Disk" pane lets you choose your.... startup disk.

And when running bootcamp (at least with XP) by default there's a bootcamp icon in the system tray thingy on the bottom right of the screen near the clock. If you click on it (or maybe you have to right-click) it gives you the option to "Restart in OS X" so you don't have to hold option.

5. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

You can rename the disk from within Vista (in Computer Management somewhere).
    Alan