Manually switching from "internal speakers" to "headphones" on Macbook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by heatmiser, Aug 6, 2009.

1. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's been a bad evening. A friend accidentally tripped over a 1/8th to RCA cable we were running from the MB to the TV. Friend and TV are fine, but the MB no longer switches from "internal speakers" to "headphones" when I plug in a pair of headphones, the 1/8th cable, etc. It stays on speaker mode even when the plug is fully inserted.

I've experimented with a toothpick, and have engaged and disengaged the digital out, but that's not the issue. If I bend a fully inserted headphone plug hard towards the front of the MB (i.e., toward the USB ports), I get full stereo sound, which indicates the jack is still partly working; however, under all other circumstances, sound comes through the speakers, which suggests the MB isn't receiving the "switch" signal properly from the jack.

I've been googling for the last few hours, and it looks like Macbook Wind users have found ways to alter the AppleHda.kext file to allow them to manually toggle between internal speakers and headphones, which means there has to be a way to do this on the native Macbook. Unfortunately, no one seems to have this specific problem (or at least, I haven't found anyone with this issue since I started searching). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

Bump. Surprised no one on the internet's figured out how to do this.