Manually Uninstalling Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Littleodie914, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'm having trouble installing XCode on my iMac. (And I'd like to think I know what I'm doing!) I'm running the XCodeTools package from the original DVD, but when it gets to the part where it starts the actual install, it says, "Install Failed: The Installer encountered an unknown error that failed the install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

I googled it, and everyone says to run the uninstaller script found in /Dev/Tools/, but the problem is, I don't have that directory in the first place, so I have no way of running the script. (Could someone maybe PM it to me? I don't know how to extract files from the packages.)

Another thing I thought was weird, during install, it says it's going to "Upgrade" the previous Xcode installation. (Though it doesn't exist.) I'm assuming this is the problem, but I don't know how to manually get rid of whatever is stopping Xcode from doing a clean install. Thanks! :)

Edit: It happens with every single Dev package, I tried the solo gcc also.

2. Spike099 macrumors regular

PM me your email... I can't attach using PM...

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I think the uninstall script is also in the install DVD. Not sure exactly off hand though.

4. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Big thanks to Spike099, running the install script did the trick. :)