Manufacture Date of Refurb MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macrimonious, May 9, 2009.

1. Macrimonious macrumors member

Hello All-

Like a lot of you, I've been considering getting a new MacBook but have been apprehensive about the screen quality.

I'm "downgrading" if you can call it that, from a Core Duo MBP from about three years ago. I love the machine. It's been wonderful. But it's too big for my needs and I need something more mobile with a smaller footprint, plus, I don't need the extra power of the pro. I plan on purchasing an external display (probably 24") for use at home.

I've checked out the display models at the Apple store and the screen quality, viewing angles, black levels, overall color profile, it's such a step down, I've delayed the purchase.

That being said, this thread, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=694320 raises the possibility that the newer MacBooks have better screens in them. Now, I'm not expecting MBP quality, but just something that is on a more respectable level than the absolute crap they have on display.

I was planning on purchasing the computer through the online refurb store when I got around to it, and was wondering if anyone who has bought a refurb in the last few weeks could tell me:

1) The date of their order.
    2) 2.0 or 2.4
    3) The manufacture date of the macbook and the screen model
    4) Any impressions, comparisons you'd like to share

Screen model can be found by: System preferences > displays > color > select the stock profile > click open profile > scroll down to select item #13.

I'm trying to get a sense of when the newer models start hitting the refurb store.

Sorry if this is a lot to ask, but please help me out! :eek:

Thanks

2. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as you. I hope we can get some results soon because I want to know what to order.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

The date of manufacture will vary as sometimes they are just computers returned after a few days and other times they are repaired versions of ones that have been used for many months.

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Would you also care for inputs from owners that did not purchase their machine from the refurb store? As the manufacturing date rules out variables such as time.

5. Macrimonious thread starter macrumors member

That would also be helpful. Thanks.

6. Macrimonious thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. I didn't consider that. That would suck, one person get's a basically new one, and another gets one thats used for three weeks? Doesn't sound right to me. Anyone have any info on this?

7. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure if it is badly scratched up they will replace the shell, and they make sure everything runs fine.

8. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Ok then, is there anyway you can direct me to the manufacturing date? I'm curious to know myself. :)