Manufacture Defect all over the MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNwindow, Apr 7, 2013.

1. macNwindow, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

macNwindow macrumors member

I purchased my MBPr when it first came out (15"; Mid 2012), and just a week ago I noticed a dead pixel developing on my Samsung screen. So then I took it in the first time and the Genius said that it was a hole in my screen; thus, it was my fault and does not go under manufacture defect (MD) warranty. I was dissatisfied with the diagnosis and decided to take it to another apple store and finally they understood that it was in fact a MD and got the screen replaced and back in my hands the next day. I examined the new screen, but not so carefully (in public) and thought that it was a good screen; the new screen came in as another Samsung... happy!, but when I got home I took my time and carefully examined the screen and saw 3 chipped marks on the corner of the newly replaced screen. I called the store and was transferred to the manager, she told me to bring it in the next day and so I did. They allocated a new screen for my replacement. The new screen was another Samsung, but this time it passed my initially screening for defects. When I got home I compared it to my girlfriends MBPr 13" and it seemed to be completely off-colored. The entire screen was Yellow-hued even with a screen recalibration... So then I called Apple Care (AC) and they had me go through some procedures to try and fix it over the phone, and it did not work. Now I have another appointment to go in on Monday and have it looked at and get it fixed....

Overall, I think apple needs to have better quality control over their entire line of products from Asia... I understand that there is a huge pressure and a big market to make money, but I am just waisting my time going in and out of the apple store to get justice for what I paid for the machine. I am a college student and I don't have the time for this quality control and MD to put me through all this hassle.

Ps. Another defect I noticed is it consistently makes a creaking noise everytime i picked up and hold my laptop from the bottom.

2. LeeM macrumors 6502a

its still quite a new product, one reason why a lot of people are avoiding the retina for now.

3. macNwindow, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

macNwindow thread starter macrumors member

True, but its still the same type of Unibody and Manufactures they have been working with for years now. They should have each process refined by now.

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

arent your issues with the new retina screens though?

5. macNwindow thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is, and about their quality control.

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

After ordering a $3,200 BTO (built to order) 15" MacBook Pro Retina it finally arrived last week. Upon unpacking it, and before even opening the screen I noticed four large dents around the Apple logo on the lid.

One call to Apple and they issued a return authorization. Just as though it happens regularly. It happened to me in 2010 also.

I've purchased a lot of Apple computers. All were just fine till the last few years. Either Apple is slacking off and has no concern for the problems it causes the customer. Or they know that they have so much money & power they can do as they like.

Apple is a very popular company that can get by with most anything.

----------

Apple loves their army of excuse makers.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've read that tightening the case screws helps.

8. LeeM macrumors 6502a

not really an excuse, more of a justification. yes its a bit ****** on such an expensive product but they fix it immediately without question which is nice.

9. macNwindow thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I agree with you that they are too big and popular now to care for such things. I think they need to be hit with a reality check that they were going down and under not too long ago and should appreciate the customers that show up to their doorstep. Each product that hits the market comes with high expectation from user-end. From what I see, they are just rushing merchandise out the door to get a high quarterly earning yield for their stocks... etc. (to look good)

----------

I tried to get the Genius bar to do that on 2 occasion initially, but it didn't work. I know they tried their best to tighten the screws and it ended stripped a little. I give them props for trying though.

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Stuff gets through quality control. MacBooks are a mass manufactured product, it happens. This forum isn't a representative sample at all, since about half of the people who post her register specifically to complain about one issue or another (or at least tell their story).

Sorry about your bad experience, though.