Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161307-pegatron_wordmark.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports that Taiwanese manufacturer Pegatron has confirmed that its subsidiary Kaedar Electronics did pay kickbacks to an "intermediate trading company" in order to help land contracts with Apple between 2005 and 2008. It was unable, however, to confirm that Apple global supply manager Paul Devine, arrested late last week over the scheme, was the ultimate recipient of the funds.
Paul Shin Devine, a global supply manager at Apple, was arrested Friday on charges that he received some $1 million in kickbacks from six Asian suppliers. In a federal grand-jury indictment in the U.S. outlining offenses that include unlawful monetary transactions, Kaedar, along with five other companies, were said to have paid kickbacks to Mr. Devine for receiving confidential information that would let the companies negotiate favorable contracts with Apple.
In an interesting twist to the story, Pegatron has been rumored by The Wall Street Journal and other sources to be working with Apple to manufacturer a CDMA-based iPhone 4 that could operate on Verizon's network in the U.S. The alleged kickback scheme, however, occurred prior to Pegatron's acquisition of Kaedar in late 2008 and a Pegatron spokesman claims that the issue has not affected his company's relationship with Apple.

While Foxconn has served as Apple's manufacturing partner for the iPhone since its initial launch over three years ago, Apple and Pegatron do have an existing relationship for production of other devices such as the iPod shuffle. Kaedar has reportedly supplied Apple with iPod packing boxes since 2005.

Article Link: Manufacturing Partner Confirms Kickbacks Paid to Secure Apple Orders

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
It's not like Apple doesn't pay its top-level employees enough.

GlenL

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
going from supplying packing boxes in the past, and now to the CDMA iPhone 4... Pegatron is moving up in the world!

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Can't get the imagery out of kickbacks being paid to a large robot that transforms into a gun.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You can't put the genie back in the bottle once confidential information is leaked. Luckily, the value of this information was probably useful only at the time it was received.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Maybe Apple knew about it? Could be something to avoid taxes?

Didn't Apple have the guy arrested?

Not likely Apple was attempting to avoid taxes.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle once confidential information is leaked. Luckily, the value of this information was probably useful only at the time it was received.

What confidential information? Those were kickbacks to get contracts with Apple.

What is interesting is that the Kaedar Electronics company did this prior to its being bought by Pegatron, and Pegatron confirms that Kaedar paid kickbacks.

And Pegatron did not supply product boxes, Kaedar did, GlenL.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What confidential information? Those were kickbacks to get contracts with Apple.
Wall Street Journal said:
Kaedar, along with five other companies, were said to have paid kickbacks to Mr. Devine for receiving confidential information that would let the companies negotiate favorable contracts with Apple.
Perhaps they were told what to bid to win the contracts.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Kickbacks is the nature of business in Asia. Steve Jobs is rich. Investors who have stuck with Apple have their money. This guy got his $1,000,000 or so. He probably even had a few massages with a happy ending thrown in there too during some of his business trips.

Big deal. Our government right now is missing a billion of our money which supposedly was sent to Iraq for the rebuilding process. That's our hard earned tax money being pissed away when it should have gone towards infrastructure here, schools, teachers, health care, etc...

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
It's not like Apple doesn't pay its top-level employees enough.

This is what baffles me. A top Apple exec is usually doing around a million dollars a year when bonuses and profit sharing is included at a minimum. Why the extra sauce and where was it all going?

If it can be proven he took these anti-competitive kickbacks, things like this don't happen as an isolated act. I am sure his previous staff around him is quite on edge and one of Steve's left-hand-men* are on a hunt trying to find out who all knew and cooperated in this.

Also, I'm curious who is willing to go states evidence as they are shown the front door and a final paycheck. When you get booted from Apple hard like this, there are stories of the last paycheck prorated down to the minute they left the building.

* Left-hand-man, typically a leader's warlord or "hatchet man" getting rid of trouble. This is opposite to right-hand man who takes care of administrative and day-to-day responsibilities.

robotmonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I don't see why this should be a legal issue. It should be an issue between this man, Apple, and the supplying company.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Maybe Apple knew about it? Could be something to avoid taxes?

How ould Apple avoid paying taxes? Oh, I see: Apple employee takes kickbacks. Contract is signed for more money than necessary. Apple makes less profit. Apple pays less taxes. Brilliant business strategy. Lose money to avoid taxes. Did you know you could save lots of income tax perfectly legally, just by telling your boss to cut your salary by half?

Kickbacks always hurt the company whose employee accepts kickbacks.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
I don't see why this should be a legal issue. It should be an issue between this man, Apple, and the supplying company.

I think you mean criminal issue, but still, there are laws governing anti-competitive behavior, if that's what this was. Getting kickbacks to secure a contract certainly seems to fit that definition.

From what I've read, Apple has also started civil legal proceedings.

So this is very much a legal issue.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This is what baffles me. A top Apple exec is usually doing around a million dollars a year when bonuses and profit sharing is included at a minimum. Why the extra sauce and where was it all going?
It calls him a Supply Manager. Not sure that is a 'top exec'.

If nothing else, it was almost certainly undeclared income, which is illegal.

How ould Apple avoid paying taxes? Oh, I see: Apple employee takes kickbacks. Contract is signed for more money than necessary. Apple makes less profit. Apple pays less taxes. Brilliant business strategy. Lose money to avoid taxes. Did you know you could save lots of income tax perfectly legally, just by telling your boss to cut your salary by half?
True, it sounds silly, but it still happens all the time. Lose money (or 'create' extra expense) over here to cover where you made money over there.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
The thing that pops out most is this part: "The lawsuit contends that Devine had warned his contacts not to send messages to his Apple email account, for fear of detection, but Apple's investigators accessed his personal Gmail and Hotmail correspondence."

Crooks. They keep making stupid little mistakes. I mean huge blunders. The easy fix is, I presume, to not read your personal e-mail address at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.