Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has learned that Apple is planning to quickly refurbish several of its retail stores after closing time on May 16, with the overnight transformations to be completed by the time each store reopens on May 17. These dates may slightly vary between now and May 20 depending on the store.

apple-store-new-look-800x401.jpg

Older and smaller Apple Stores that have yet to be fully renovated with the company's next-generation retail design will receive new fixtures that mirror the updated look and feel as much as possible, according to a source. We're hearing this is a worldwide effort, and every older-generation store may be involved.

Apple plans to replace its existing accessory shelves in each store with what it calls the Avenue, as pictured above, a person familiar with the matter said. Apple will also be adding more "feature bays" to each store for displaying products and accessories, and new stools for the Genius Bar and other seating areas.

Here's how Apple described the Avenue when it opened its flagship Union Square store in San Francisco last year:
“The Avenue,” inspired by the window displays along a boulevard that dynamically change with the season. Avenue walls are interactive themed “windows” where Apple’s products and services come to life, from music, to creativity, apps, photography and more. New “Creative Pros,” Apple experts in creative arts, offer advice and expertise at each of the displays. Customers will also find “Only at Apple” products on the Avenue, a curated collection of third-party accessories.
Apple will significantly reduce the number of accessories it keeps on display on the sales floor, but it will still have ample stock in the back of the store, the person said. A customer interested in purchasing an accessory that isn't readily shelved can simply ask an employee, who will grab it from the back.

Apple has over 35 next-generation retail stores around the world, including locations in Brussels, Dubai, London, Mexico City, New York, Paris, San Francisco, and elsewhere. It has also fully updated and expanded many existing stores with the new look, but those larger renovations usually take several months.

Apple has 460 other retail stores, however, and this quick facelift will bring many of them closer in line with the newer aesthetics.

Article Link: Many Apple Stores Set to Receive Overnight Makeover on May 16

Last edited:

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
The Apple store close to me is always packed, has a nice layout, attentive employees, and is always an enjoyable experience to go there and drool over the new toys. Not sure how it could get much better.

Reactions: CarlJ

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Make sense. Stores require refreshes at times and this is how any retailer would rearrange or update for the sake of being stagnant.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
You know, once there was a time when I enjoyed going to the Apple Store. It actually made me want to go to the mall. When I went to new cities for work, I would seek out the Apple Stores. They sold their own products (which were refreshed a couple times a year), but also sold lots of third party software and peripherals. They had books and magazines. The bigger stores had theaters with seats and you could sit in on a class. Remember those iPod jackets? Remember when they sold Palm PDAs? It was fun to go, and there would probably be new stuff to see.

I don't recall when that ended era ended, exactly, but now I don't even go in the store when I'm at the mall. I just walk past. There is no point. All the stores have exactly the same things, and I know exactly what they are. And they're all filled with shoppers that seem happy with that. And staff that don't seem interested in engaging me. I go there when I want to see a new product, which isn't very often, or when I need to get something fixed. What used to be a great, destination store in which I could spend hours is now pointless and depressing.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
So now with the updated stores that are already packed, we need to traverse the giant planters with trees that take up retail space?

I'm fine with the environment and all, but are they not the most coveted price per sq. foot retail business on the planet still?

Makes sense :rolleyes:

Reactions: jdclifford
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.