Many Built-to-Order iMac, iMac Pro, and MacBook Pro Models Currently Facing Extended Delivery Estimates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Built-to-order iMac, iMac Pro, and MacBook Pro models, excluding the low-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, are currently facing an extended delivery estimate of March 10 on Apple's online store in the United States.

While custom configurations usually take more time to ship than standard configurations, current delivery estimates are even lengthier than usual. The reason for the delay is unknown, but on a speculative basis, it could be related to the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak in China that has forced many of Apple's suppliers to temporarily close their factories and suspend production.

While some readers who tipped us to this news raised the possibility of an Apple event on March 10, the delivery estimate has changed on a daily basis, so any correlation would be purely coincidental. Nevertheless, Apple is expected to release a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with a scissor switch Magic Keyboard in the first half of 2020, and it is certainly possible that the notebook could be released in March.

In fact, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects Apple to release many new products in the first half of 2020, including refreshed MacBook Pro and/or MacBook Air models, refreshed iPad Pro models with a triple-lens rear camera system, Tile-like item tracking tags with Ultra Wideband support, high-end wireless headphones, a small wireless charging mat, and a new lower-cost 4.7-inch iPhone.

Article Link: Many Built-to-Order iMac, iMac Pro, and MacBook Pro Models Currently Facing Extended Delivery Estimates

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I'm certainly waiting for the MBP 13" refresh. Best to just wait a few months and see. Kuo is rarely wrong.

Reactions: MacLawyer

wowotoe

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Not surprised. Wuhan is like one of the central hubs for package transportation. City is completely shutdown so only limited packages are allowed to travel thru. Re-routing the packages is not economical

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It appears that the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max are having shipping delays as well. Ordering a phone today shows a delivery date of February 13-17 so it's not just the Mac.

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
Seems like a lot of desktop products also "need" a refresh in 2020. iMac and iMacPro should see some kind of spec bump, if not a redesign. MacMini should be updated, but really doubt it will be.

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
When we ordered new company laptops from Dell last week, they told us that it will take longer than usual (mid march), because there is a shortage of intel cpu's. might be related to that.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Freeangel1

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2020
Can APPLE please fix the preview APP? Every time you download a PDF file the whole PDF blows up in your face and opens up wide. stopping everything you are doing. PREVIEW APP has always been like this thru all versions of OS X. I cant believe this does not annoy people? Its very stupid to have PDF's you download just open up left and right and kill what you were doing previously. how dumb and long does it take to fix this? open PDF in minimized mode or ASK user if PREVIEW should open downloaded PDF.

AvaAdore

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
Can APPLE please fix the preview APP? Every time you download a PDF file the whole PDF blows up in your face and opens up wide. stopping everything you are doing. PREVIEW APP has always been like this thru all versions of OS X. I cant believe this does not annoy people? Its very stupid to have PDF's you download just open up left and right and kill what you were doing previously. how dumb and long does it take to fix this? open PDF in minimized mode or ASK user if PREVIEW should open downloaded PDF.
I think you need to uncheck "open safe files after downloading" in Safari's preference pane.

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I badly need a new 13 or 14" laptop, so fingers are crossed that these rumors are true. And given the very good design and high quality of some of the 13" MBP's competitors, Apple needs to nail this.

tothemoonsands

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2018
New MBP 13/14” is coming soon, the question is will it be a few weeks (ie March) or a few months (ie June). I’m definitely hoping for March / before WWDC.

I have a 2017 15” MBP and while it is fully spec’d out, I’ve discovered it’s a bit to large and unwieldy for my tastes.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I ordered a custom 16” MBP on Jan 31 and the shipping estimate right now has ballooned to Feb 28. I’m guessing it has to be the virus. Can’t imagine such a delay otherwise.

Reactions: retta283

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Estimated dates were slipping before the shutdown in Wuhan was announced, but I suspect the delays were due to the Chinese holidays rather than the virus at that stage. The holiday period was extended due to virus outbreak, in the hope that travel across the country would be reduced and people wouldn't return to work. Many factories remain closed – even if they reopen, they may not have all the parts and staff to be fully operational. In addition, transportation is still restricted in some areas.

SMC23

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
Had to order a replacement 16” as the one I ordered when launched had the notorious coil whine. Ordered Jan 26 with estimated delivery Feb 25. I hope to receive it a week earlier than planned but it doesn’t seem that way. Order still being processed.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'm wondering how many times a rectangle with a screen can be reimagined.
Use your imagination... Lol.

Design elements of the Pro Display XDR, thinner bezels, Face ID, redesigned stand, Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 3... Theres several things that can be done.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Ohio
I understand the issues with the delay; however I ordered my new maxed 16” MBP on Jan 23 with an ETA ship date of Feb 7, then it slipped to Feb 14, now it shows Feb 17-24 and stuck in processing.

I noticed the other day the money was redeposited back into my account. The last part doesn’t make me feel confident about receiving my laptop any time soon. Hard to complain when they sent my money back, but I’m sitting here with my dock and empty computer bag just waiting on my new MBP.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I understand the issues with the delay; however I ordered my new maxed 16” MBP on Jan 23 with an ETA ship date of Feb 7, then it slipped to Feb 14, now it shows Feb 17-24 and stuck in processing.

I noticed the other day the money was redeposited back into my account. The last part doesn’t make me feel confident about receiving my laptop any time soon. Hard to complain when they sent my money back, but I’m sitting here with my dock and empty computer bag just waiting on my new MBP.
I believe Apple gets authorisation for the payment at the time of purchase but doesn't actually request funds until they ship the device. The account balance may have adjusted because the money was ringfenced by the bank and returned to you as payment not requested.

Reactions: AlanShutko

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Just check around and found that almost all BTO Macs has an ETA in March if ordered by now, with single exception that the Mac Pro in the US still have a 5-7 days ETA despite the BTO options. Seems obvious it’s due to the outbreak as US’s Mac Pro is the one that did not get affected.