'Many girls' abused by boyfriends

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Sep 1, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

What can you say, pretty bloody awful.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Blimey e, with this story and the one about teenage girls getting pissed you are making this father of an eighteen year old girl feel a little bit worried today. :eek:

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Do you think that your other thread may, in some way, have something to do with this?

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Crappy huh.

I can only imagine what I'll be thinking when I'm really old.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What? Like when you're 35?

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Reeeeally old*. Fifties, sixties.

*compared to now.

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Both sides are equally responsible here, and i have seen boys being put on sex offenders register for having sex with there girlfriend and she later decides she didn't like him or it didn't feel good so she dumps hims, tells daddy she he raped her to look like daddies little angel then happy sails on to the next boyfriend.

This was only 4 years ago that i was in high school, and i can still imagine that there are evil wee lassys out there like this wanting to hurt there old boyfriend forever more for forgetting to txt them or something.

Not that i am saying there are not legitimate accusations as well but most certainly not in these numbers, if that were the case then my first time with my boyfriend would be classified as rape since he was 16 and i was 15. If we were caught that would have been seen as rape here since he was a legal adult at 16 and i was a child.

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

Now something like that WOULD lead me to violence against an ex, I have trouble believing anyone would be so conniving.

Anyways, about these stats, what qualifies as abuse in a relationship? We always see these stats and I know that I often imagine it as a quick hook to the jaw or something, likely not what is happening in *all* cases.

9. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

As others have said, these stats mean nothing since underage sex stupidly counts as rape here in the UK for some reason :confused:

EDIT: What's even stupider is the guy is always the one taking advantage of the girl according to the law no matter what the circumstances.

10. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

No offense to the legit victims here but some girls bring this on themselves. I seen dozens of girls turned down a real good guy for the wanna be badass future wife beater type guys.

11. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

My teenage daughter dated a turd that pushed her around and never let her out of his sight. He got a little carried away once and hit her. I found out after his father called me threatening to have my son arrested for assault. It seems my son found out and had a "chat" with the boy. We did not see that boy around much after that. Fathers need to teach their sons to treat women with respect and their daughters to expect it.

12. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

well when go on date the guys 'expect' at least a BJ.
    and most do not take kindly to a NO.
    "is only a BJ, not like its sex"
    try to pressure, get drunk, or add drugs to drink.
    fortunately I don't drink, my 'drink' is water out of bottle, and when you can benchpress most guys the pressure tactic tends to backfire on them.

I know some of my female friends have had sex with guys rather than try to enforce the NO, a number of guys will not take no for answer and will use physical force.

I feel that once a person is under influence of drugs or alcohol they cannot give consent , and it should be treated as a sexual violation

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No kidding, it is a very sad commentary on today's society.

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

While it's obviously wrong to essentially dope someone with drink, you can't say that everything that happens after that is a violation. Every bloke on earth would be a sex convict if the (lucky? :p) lady woke up the next day and decided she wished she hadn't...

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad news.

I felt a bit of a sting when I read that. :eek:

A bit of a slippery slope on this. What happens when someone who has been drinking has sex and then decides the day after they wish they hadn't for whatever reason?

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

As sad and wrong as it is, it's no shocker. Volatile relationships are really common in the teen to tween age range.

That is horrible!

As for being under the influence and giving consent, that is a tricky one. People get soused and have sex. It happens. Sometimes it's much more sinister, sometimes not. Either way I don't think it's fair when (some) girls/women have what is really nothing more than regrettable sex and then try to ruin some guy's life by calling it rape. That is sick and it does a huge disservice to all rape victims and the wrongfully accused both.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well said. :)

Definitely a slippery slope.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Completely unfeasible. Much of the time, one or both partners are drunk, if you made that a crime there aren't enough jails in the world to hold everyone accountable.

If someone is worried about what they might do when drunk or on drugs, they shouldn't drink or take drugs, or do so in moderation. People are responsible for their own ability/inability to consent.

Very true. There is of course the other side too; I know someone (middle-aged married guy, with children) who goes out after midnight on Sat. nights/Sun. mornings and trawls around his town to meet drunken girls coming out of nightclubs. Charming.. :rolleyes:

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wanna know why so many girls seem to be drawn to the guy that is obviously going to to something sick like that. We've all seen the girl fall head over heels for the douchebags, and suddenly its some massive shock when he turns out to be, wait for it, ...... a douchebag!

That being said, on the flipside, I can see how alot of my guy friends are just complete hunters when it comes to girls and will say/do anything to make themselves seem appealing (while not being themselves at all).

I can't really seem to blame either side here, its far too complicated.

20. No1451 macrumors 6502

Yeah really, my unwillingness to do this is what seems to stand in between me and the girls.

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Thanks for putting us all out there as pure *******s. It's well appreciated. :)

As for serious business, I have never ever, in any situation or context, from anyone I have ever mer whom I have had a discussion about dating with, heard that a BJ is expected at the end of a date.

Also, the gargantual majority of guys will take a no and leave. A good friend of mine was accused of rape after having sex with my ex-girlfriend (messed up situation, I know) because she regretted it. Maybe she shouldn't have hit on him, invited him home and slept with him then? Drunk or not, one should take responsibility for ones own actions.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There's a long way between a guy being a douchebag and being an abuser, they're not necessarily related.

My best friend was in a serious relationship with a guy. He was (apparently) a great guy, great boyfriend until one day, after they had been together for 4 years, he beat her up. No one saw that coming.

23. McBeats macrumors 6502a

whats it mean when a girlfriend abuses their guy? a wuss.

24. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

No kidding... I tell friends this all the time, they never get it

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

That's exactly why I took the decision to hide a camera, record everything in video –with sound– and store it in my, ahem, archive.