Many good apps on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I was testing out an iPad 2 today and played a game called Real Racing 2 ( or something like that ). It looked like I was playing game from 1994. Grand Prix 2 on a Pentium II looks even better :eek:
    ( I could literally count every pixel of Real Racing 2 )

So is there a wide support of iPad applications or are the majority of the apps designed for the iPhone?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are a great many games for the iPad. There's an iPad version of Real Racing as well as an iPhone version, which, adding to the confusion, also plays on the iPad. Any idea which version you were playing?

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Were you playing Real Racing 2 (iPhone app) or Real Racing 2 HD (iPad app)? I can't verify from here as the work proxy tries to block access but it looks like there are 2 separate apps. If an app is iPhone only and you run it on the iPad it will look awful.

There are a lot of iPad apps but the iPhone has been around a lot longer. Therefore... (you do the math)

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Games on the iPad won't look as good as PC or console games. Remember, this thing has a 1.2GHz processor and no independent graphics card. What makes the games fun is the accelerometer control.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

It definitely sounds like you were using the iPhone version. Many apps (including that one) use HD to mark the iPad version if they're not universal.

Did you look at a single other app on it? Did you really think millions of people are paying hundreds of dollars for 16-bit graphics? Have you looked at any screenshots or YouTube videos?

There are currently about 20,000 games that run at native resolution. Games, not apps.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

It would, of course, be useful to have more than a naming convention "HD" to identify true iPad apps, especially since it is not universally applied. But doing so would radically reduce the number of apps Apple touts for the iPad.

I've found the best approach is to limit searches to the iPad and then examine carefully any app that claims to be "universal." At the very least it often means that the app displays only in portrait mode.

7. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Over exaggerate much?

If it was Real Racing and no Real Racing HD then that may have been the problem.

However, Real Racing 2 HD is a very slick game and my son and I love playing it together on our 2 iPads. Love that you can play multi-player with multiple devices. Need to try it on airplay next. Though something about holding the screen in your hand that I like.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You were playing the iphone version. If you played the HD version for the ipad, you'd think it was a console game.