Many IM services down!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
edesignuk said:
I couldn't get signed on to MSN last night, and I know it wasn't just me.

grrrrrr...
Yeah, MSN Messenger was out/spotty for quite a bit of the day today (Wednesday)... and then to compound that, my cable service was COMPLETELY out for a few hours earlier in the day. (No TV, even.) For someone who works from home, it was quite frustrating not to be able to do any surfing, check e-mail, chat, or watch TV.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Yeah, I found it strange when I was curiously disconnected from iChat, couldn't log in for at least 10-15 minutes, and when I finally did log in, I had 5 out of 175 buddies on my list. Bizarre.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
stoid said:
l was wondering about that. I couldn't get on, and now that I've signed on, there are only two buddies online where I usually have 10-15.
Im having the same problem. I couldnt sign on tonight for like 15 minutes. Then once i did get on aim i have about 93 buddies and only 15 are showing up??? Whats the deal. :rolleyes:

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
I dunno, AIM network has been spotty from time to time. This isn't the first time the whole network has gone kaput.

I can remember many times in high school that it did this, and certainly more than a few times in college as well. Not exactly reliable network when it comes down to it.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Mav451 said:
I dunno, AIM network has been spotty from time to time. This isn't the first time the whole network has gone kaput.

I can remember many times in high school that it did this, and certainly more than a few times in college as well. Not exactly reliable network when it comes down to it.
Really? This is the first time anything like this has happened to me on AIM.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
AIM is actually pretty reliable. I've kept my AIM service on 24/7 with multiple screennames for the last year or so and I've only had one prior outage, for a hour or so. I'd consider that pretty good uptime especially give how many people use the network.

Either way, with AIM down for a bit, I think some high students actually got work done for once...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Same here, got disconnected for 10-15 minutes. Figured it was my college network (goes down for about 10 minutes almost everyday). But when I opened Safari, and found the internet working fine, I tried AIM again, and still cannot connect. Seems it's the AIM service that's down.

Oh well, all's fine now. And it's time for me to go to sleep! :)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Raven VII said:
Same here, got disconnected for 10-15 minutes. Figured it was my college network (goes down for about 10 minutes almost everyday). But when I opened Safari, and found the internet working fine, I tried AIM again, and still cannot connect. Seems it's the AIM service that's down.

Oh well, all's fine now. And it's time for me to go to sleep! :)
That what we though as well since when AIM goes down ti means the collage network is down but we where still playing Halo2though Xlink so it was just weird but we did not think much of it. we where enjoying Halo 2 much

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Oooooooh!

Could this be an indication that in the not too distant future (like, say, the coming few weeks or months) all different IM-networks will be merged into one big one? One can hope, right?!...

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Bengt77 said:
Could this be an indication that in the not too distant future (like, say, the coming few weeks or months) all different IM-networks will be merged into one big one? One can hope, right?!...

no.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
Bengt77 said:
Having to always use a Microsoft product for instant messaging really doesn't appeal to me...

Especially given their lack of concern for privacy rights...