Many MacBook prolems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sine-nomine, Jan 2, 2008.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

About 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend bought a new Santa Rosa base 2.0GHz MacBook with a 160GB hard drive and 1GB or RAM, as well as an 80GB black iPod Classic. Unfortunately, she is having a huge amount of trouble with them both, and I'm not sure how to help her.

First, her machine takes a very long time to boot - about 2-3 minutes (and about the same to shut down), and there isn't a thing on it. This is not due to Spotlight or Time Machine or any system updates. It's not a matter of lots of login items, either. My G3 iBook boots in 45 seconds on average and shuts down in about 15. My mother's MacBook is up in about 20 seconds and takes about the same to shut down.

Not sure if it is related, but her machine also slows down tremendously if it's on more than a few hours. It's to the point where iChat and Safari require around 30 bounces to launch, during which time there is a constant spinning beach ball and the machine is almost entirely unresponsive.

Her MacBook was afflicted with the keyboard issue, but she downloaded the update and so far everything there seems to be in order, but it's caused her not to trust it. Her trackpad also doesn't respond properly and often ignores input, or it makes the cursor move around erratically. The update did nothing to fix that issue.

Her USB ports - both of them - aren't working very well, either. When she plugs in her mouse, it often doesn't work. The red light doesn't come on or anything. The keyboard update seems to have done something to this because it's only happened once since then. However, her iPod almost never mounts, and it doesn't matter which port is used. She'll plug it in, and even if it mounts, it will spontaneously unmount making it impossible to move any music to the iPod. It took a few days worth of trying, but it finally stayed mounted long enough to restore it and reformat it Apple, but that didn't help at all. In fact, now it will randomly disappear from iTunes but still show on the desktop. It doesn't show up in Disk Utility when that happens, and the computer will completely lock up if you try to sleep, shutdown or do anything with the iPod icon. You have to hard restart it when it does this.

Speaking of sleep, the MacBook isn't getting much. It takes a very long time once the lid is shut to enter sleep mode - anywhere from 1-5 minutes. If you open the lid before it's gone fully to sleep, it won't wake up and will require a hard restart. It also wakes itself up every few minutes. Sometimes it'll go back to sleep, sometimes not. If sleep is selected from the Apple menu, nothing happens.

There are a number of internet issues, too. She has the USB external modem, but it won't connect to her ISP. Her neighbors were nice enough to let her use their wireless until she can figure out what is going wrong, but that has just recently stopped working as it should. System Prefs shows she has an IP address from their router (it is NOT self-assigned), but no web pages load, iChat won't log in, and any attempt to ping anything, including the router, fails. Renewing the address doesn't help. The only solution we've found so far for that is a reboot. In fact, this MacBook had to be restarted 2 or 3 times a day before this, so I can only imagine what that number will be now that it's started doing this.

She has AppleCare and tried the tech support line, but they've disconnected when transferring her twice now. We don't live anywhere near an Apple store, so we can't take it back in person. I have had a Mac for 3 years now and have never had anything remotely like the issues she's experiencing. She bought this computer based on my advice, and for her to have this kind of trouble with it has her wanting to send it back and get the cheap Acer at Wal-Mart I talked her out of. I currently have Tiger, and haven't used Leopard much, so I don't know if all these problems are due to Leopard (hers is 10.5.2), or a lemon MacBook. If anyone can give us some advice on what to do, we'd both really appreciate it.

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Sounds like a Lemon. I think that Apple would exchange it. But just check activity monitor and let us know how many pageouts you have and how many free RAM. That could eventually tell us something about speed but dont explain USB problems.

3. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mydel, I will do that as soon as I can bring her book over and have a look at it. I'll put up the results soon.