Many Macs One Time Machine Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dvkid, Dec 12, 2007.

1. dvkid macrumors regular

I work in an office with 8 Macs with a total 920 GB of storage space in internal drives. I would like to setup TimeMachine to create backups of these computers, but rather than buy 8 or more external hard drives I'd rather buy one large RAID with a capacity of around 2 to 2.5 TB.

My concern is that one or two computers (our art department computers that deal with the largest files) would monopolize the entire drive leaving our other computers with little space to backup.

My first solution was to seek out a means of making Time Machine only do an incremental backup twice a day or so. This would drastically lower the number of files we would need to store.

Another thought was to create partitions allocating space to various computers or groups of computers. At its simplest we would have one partition for the art department computers and one partition for everybody else.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Or any idea what the best way to attach a TM drive over the network (plugged into another computer) at each startup instead of manually?

Thanks for any thoughts or pointers!

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I do a similar thing with my 2 home Macs.

1 500GB BUD (FW400)
    MBP
    Mac Mini

I created a partition for each computer... the MBP gets the most use (by far), so I allocated ~320GB to that, and the remainder to my Mini. Partitioning a single large BUD drive works fine with TM, I've been able to backup perfectly with both computers; and, more importantly, restore files, contacts, etc to both computers without incident. After all, what good is a backup if you cant restore from it??!

As for connections... I have the BUD connected to my Mini via FW400, and the MBP accesses it via the wireless network (as any other network share drive). Only issue is sometimes I have to manually reconnect my network drives on the MBP (backup & media). Small price to pay for wireless backups. It sounds like that idea might work for you. If you have a Mac serving as a server, that would be the best option, and just share it out from there as a standard network drive. If you dont, just connect it to the machine with the least weight on the network so as to not bog down a computer thats already in high usage.

3. matthew42 macrumors newbie

An alternative to Time Machine?

We're not free like Time Machine, but we do de-duplicate & compress.

We also work over LAN & WAN.

Complete list of features/benefits on how it relates to time machine is here:

http://www.crashplan.com/features/timeMachine.vtl