Many people use an iMac stand - which?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMister111, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have a 21.5" late 2012 iMac ("slim"). It's on a desk and I'm thinking maybe need to raise it a little. (What height should it be for good posture?).

So I've seen the Twelve South Hi-Rise, seems expensive for what it is. I'm in UK and it's £70.

What do people use? If anything? Where from (availability in UK please). Any recommendations

Thanks

2. CrickettGrrrl, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I have a 21.5" iMac and made my own stand from an off-cut of IKEA's beech Numerar countertop and 7.5" H IKEA Capita legs. My eye level is about 1/4 below the top of the iMac which is very comfortable for me. I also placed my keyboard on the stand and it's more comfortable for my wrists than having the keyboard at desk level. Plus I can also stand & type but I'd prefer the screen to be higher then, but make do. Of course I'm probably much shorter than you.

3. rei101 macrumors 6502a

4. MrMister111, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Many people use an iMac stand - which?

Come on you got to post a pic now then please!!

Ha ha could do suppose, rather have something more permanent.

5. CrickettGrrrl, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

This is neater, a photo would show all my post-it notes & hazelnut cookie crumbs.
    1" thick slab of Beech wood 17"W x 13"D, top surface is 9"H. Capita legs are 8" high, not 7 which I wrote earlier, --IKEA does sell different heights.

You can also check out the IKEAHackers website, a lot of people post custom desk arrangements and stands using IKEA parts.

Attached Files:

6. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I use the Twelve South stands for me two thunderbolt displays to line them up with my 27in iMac, works well enough. They are a bit pricey but they are very heavy and solid which is kind of reassuring considering how expensive the equipment is sitting on them. Plus they have little built in storage compartments which is nice for hiding flash drives and other things that just clutter up desks. Hard to say they are worth the money for just using on a single iMac though, only way I could justify them was for aligning my thunderbolt displays easily. My iMac itself just sits on the desk sans a stand.

7. BayouTiger macrumors regular

I also have a couple of the Twelve South stands. Yes they are pricey, but very well made and look nice. Nice place to keep some of the clutter off the desk. I wish they had a dark one to set my nMP on. Would be a nice option for cable management.

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000