Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
I upgraded to Mavericks my iMac early 2008. It took a while but went on with no problems. Then it asked to upgrade Pager, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, iPhoto, iBooks and Aperture. I said yes to all, this also took a while and again no problems.
Then I tried to change some permissions on the hard disk and the computer froze.
When I rebooted I got this message
Unapproved Caller
Security Agent may only be invoked by Apple Software

and nothing worked, not even booting.
I did a Comand-R, repaired Disk Permissions and re-installed Mavericks.

Now Finder hags after a while, applications do not load.
What could have gone wrong? And, more importantly, how do I fix my iMac?

Thanks

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Not enough free disk space

A continuation of my mail above.
I rebooted and Internet now works (Pages will not open).
I went to Safari and YahooMail to download a JPG file. I had no problems until I tried to store it in the hard disk, which has 345GB available.
I get this message:
safari could not download the file "name.jpg" because there is not enough free disk space.

Thanks for any comment.

----------

Saga continues...
Since the system thinks my HD is full I changed the downloads destination to another disk. The download worked fine, but when Preview attempted to open the jpg file it give me this message.
OS X needs to repair your Library to run applications. Type admin name and password.

Not sure how but I must have really messed the iMac. Worst thing is I do not know how to fix it?

I will run the repair and report back.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Repare Disk Permissions

Saga continues
I decided to do a new Repair Disk Permissions.
I got more than two thousand "ACL found but not expected"

====================

I ran the repair Disk Permissions one, two, three times one right after the other and the very same items are defined as "found but not expected".
In other words, the process does nothing.

How do I get out of this loop?
how do I get my iMac back in working order?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Saga continues
I decided to do a new Repair Disk Permissions.
I got more than two thousand "ACL found but not expected"

====================

I ran the repair Disk Permissions one, two, three times one right after the other and the very same items are defined as "found but not expected".
In other words, the process does nothing.

How do I get out of this loop?
how do I get my iMac back in working order?

This almost sounds more like you have a failing drive.

Make a full backup first. Hopefully you already have a backup from before all this.

Try this. Hold command-r when booting to get to recovery. Then start Disk Utility and do a repair disk. Do you get any error messages shown there?

While still in recovery click the Utilities menu then start Terminal. Type "resetpassword" (all one word without the quotes) into Terminal then enter. You will get the screen below. Select Macintosh HD then select your account name from the drop down list. Leave the password fields alone. Then click reset at the lower left to reset your home folder permissions and ACLs.

HAcdUoo.png

Now restart. If you have been using Time Machine, turn it off for a moment, then turn it back on. This will free any space used by Time Machines local snapshots.

If you still have problems, start Disk Utility again normally while logged in to your account and do a verify disk and tell us what if any errors you see.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks Waselboy

Try this. Hold command-r when booting to get to recovery. Then start Disk Utility and do a repair disk. Do you get any error messages shown there?
Did this.
All OK with no errors reported.

While still in recovery click the Utilities menu then start Terminal. Type "resetpassword" (all one word without the quotes) into Terminal then enter. Then click reset at the lower left to reset your home folder permissions and ACLs.
Did this.
Once clicked, the Reset button goes gray and reads Done. It did not go back to black even after 40 minutes.
I assume this went well.

Now restart.
Did this.
Booting goes OK. Dock and Desktop take a little longer to show.
Safari starts OK.
Pages 5.0 starts and prompts for newer version. I say not now. Nothing happens, when I check the Deck icon it says "Application not responding."
Mail send a message before opening, "OS X need to repair Library" and asks for password, I enter it and press OK. it then tells me that I do not have permissions to change the folder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Booting goes OK. Dock and Desktop take a little longer to show.
Safari starts OK.
Pages 5.0 starts and prompts for newer version. I say not now. Nothing happens, when I check the Deck icon it says "Application not responding."
Mail send a message before opening, "OS X need to repair Library" and asks for password, I enter it and press OK. it then tells me that I do not have permissions to change the folder.

This is odd. Only thing I can think of to try is just reinstall Mavericks and see if that helps.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Re installing Mavericks

Thanks Waselboy,
---------------
I am re installing Mavericks. Booted the iMac with Command-R and selected "Reinstall OS X".
I can see a HD called "Recovery HD" which is locked and I do not know where it is, physically. My guess is it is a partition on the internal HD.
I select the internal HD and click Install. IMac asks for my Apple ID and Password, I enter both and click SignIn.
A colored spin-wheel appears for about 45 seconds and a "progress bar" appears with a legend below "about 8 hours and 21 minutes".
I will report in 9 hours. :rolleyes:

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
No progress

I reloaded OS X into my iMac. The process started sayin it would take nine hours but took little more than five. All worked well and I ended up with a sign in screen.
I selected the Admin account and started Mavericks.
The screen looks normal, Finder can open a disk and navigate through folders, if I navigate to a file... Finder tries to preview it and freezes.
One thing that is different is that I can relaunch the Finder.
If I open an application, Finder freezes.
I cannot do a thing.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Some details

Following with my problem I will share in this post some details hoping to give you food for thought.

Calendar — opens but can not create a new event.
Screen saver — works and changes photo at defined interval.
Contacts — opens and goes into App not responding.
Bluetooth — wireless speaker can be connected, and reproduces sounds.
Safari — opens and can navigate, see pages, articles, images. Attempt to download an image gives message "safari cannot save file". YouTube opens but does not shows videos. Facebook opens but does nothing else.
Mail — before opening ask for user/password because "OS X needs to repair Library to run Applications". After entering user and PW a new message tells me that "I do not have the necessary permissions to change the folder where it saves information."

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Following with my problem I will share in this post some details hoping to give you food for thought.

Calendar — opens but can not create a new event.
Screen saver — works and changes photo at defined interval.
Contacts — opens and goes into App not responding.
Bluetooth — wireless speaker can be connected, and reproduces sounds.
Safari — opens and can navigate, see pages, articles, images. Attempt to download an image gives message "safari cannot save file". YouTube opens but does not shows videos. Facebook opens but does nothing else.
Mail — before opening ask for user/password because "OS X needs to repair Library to run Applications". After entering user and PW a new message tells me that "I do not have the necessary permissions to change the folder where it saves information."

Try creating a new temp admin account then login to that account and see what you get.

If that does not help, I see some posts over in the Apple support community with people reporting that same error message you have, and it turned out to be a bad drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
5hours to install osx? Thats way too much... I would say make an USB stick installer, boot from that, then repartition your harddrive totally (delete all partitions, then recreate them) to "rearrange" bad blocks on the drive if there any.

luisfelipetrigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks Weaselboy

Try creating a new temp admin account then login to that account and see what you get.

If that does not help, I see some posts over in the Apple support community with people reporting that same error message you have, and it turned out to be a bad drive.

===================
I will follow your recommendation, a new account.
I will report back in another forum since I was made aware that this is not the place for troubleshooting.

Thanks a lot.:)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
===================
I will follow your recommendation, a new account.
I will report back in another forum since I was made aware that this is not the place for troubleshooting.

Thanks a lot.:)

It is fine to reply here. Your post is now in this new thread and you can continue the discussion here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.