MANY problems with MacBook Pro - Replacement unit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juststranded, Feb 20, 2008.

1. juststranded macrumors regular

Hello,

I bought a MacBook Pro in November 2006 (the day the first Core 2 Duo's came out). Right out of the box a had a few annoying software problems that I ignored and mostly eventually went about with software updates, but some still exist a year and 3 months later. Also, right out of the box, the case wasn't exactly tight against the plastic pieces that hold it together, which has caused a nasty looking wearing of the aluminum on the wrist rest. My battery lost capacity like crazy and was replaced in the recall. My display hinge got loose and was sent in to be tightened. There are now 3 or 4 dead pixels in a cluster on the display. The display is drastically unevenly blacklit, and getting worse all the time. If I put too much pressure on either or both of the wrist-rests, it will click the mouse; and if I simply lay my wrists on them, sometime they hold the mouse button down after clicking (requiring me to lift up my wrists to release the mouse). More recently, after a long drawn-out over-the-phone update process to Leopard with many problems along the way, more software problems occurred. Fortunately 10.5.2 has fixed most of them, but I still cannot use Time Machine (and never have been able to). Now, the replacement battery I got in April 2007 is failing. The mAh had been constantly changing between 1000, and 5000, but now seems to be stuck around 2500 (with only 25 cycles on it). On to of that, it only lasts off the charger until it drops to 85%, at which point the computer immediately shuts off, and I lose all unsaved work etc. Now, just a few days ago, I bought a new video game (old video game actually, StarCraft from 1998) and when I inserted the disc, suddenly my optical drive had something spinning around in it. I ejected and reinserted the disc and upon full speed spinning, the noise stopped. It returned the next day, scratching the new disc and now 3 days later will not even read any CDs or DVDs.

I could deal with a lot of it, but this is just way too much. I don't want them to "fix" it all and send it back only to have the same problems plus more from unoriginal replacement parts. I want a new unit, ultimately. I'm not trying to screw Apple over, I just think it wouldn't be worth the trouble of fixing it all and me not being satisfied with a crooked display, or another separating caseand sending it in again.

What do you think I should do? How should I handle a call to Apple? How possible do you think a replacement unit is?

Thanks to all who reply.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Since it's already past a year since you bought it, I really hope you bought Applecare. You bought Applecare, right? :eek:

3. juststranded thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. I have AppleCare.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Phew, well then, I'd be on Apple's case day and night until they agree to replace it. With that much happening with that one machine, they should've replaced it for you a long time ago. Just don't be too pushy, and good luck getting it replaced. :)