Many programs I used to use in Tiger doesn't work in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Dec 27, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

Here are the ones I've noticed have not been working or have errors:

iMovie
    iChat
    Yahoo Messenger
    Adium
    VisualHub

There are probably like 10 more but I haven't seen it yet. Why are so many programs are acting like this. I was thinking it was becasuse it wasn't ugpraded enough but I did install the newer version and it doesn't work.

2. kflook macrumors member

Which installation method of Leopard did you use?

3. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I did it from the CD and I did the custom install (if that is what you meant)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...But was it an upgrade, an archive, or a reformat (clean) install?

5. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Reinstall doing an archive and install. All those programs work fine in Leopard. Sounds like you screwed something up.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Particularly if iChat & iMovie aren't working. As far as the others, I know that Adium is working under Leopard, YM and VH I can't speak to.

8. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

so if I do an archive and install even t hough I already upgraded it would still be fine? And would it get rid of any data I already have?

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I don't know about the whole list but adium sure works fine on my leopard...
    I did a clean install of leopard though...if you plan on clean installing I'd recommend cloning your drive with carbon copy cloner and then copying back all the files you need.

10. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I will not do a clean install? Doesn't that get rid of all the data you have on the computer? I was tinking of doing the archive and install, but i don't know if that would be t he best idea it is probably the best/safest option.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

An Archive & Install technically shouldn't delete anything, but get everything backed up just in case. You may need to reinstall these apps, too.

12. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

a clean install basically is erasing your whole hd and installing the os.
    when you do this be sure to make a backup of your drive (using carbon copy cleaner for example).

archive and install keeps the old files on the drive.
    but still I do recommend having a backup also when archive and install -ing.
    backup is a must before anything major like an os upgrade.

13. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I tried to do te archive and install and it said I couldn't. I would do a clean install but the problem is I have over 120 GB of space and ther eis no way my parents would get me a bac kup drive to store it all in and the backup drives i have dont' hav enough space for it.

Now I did a suggestion in the Adium support by going into another account and seeing what happened.

Out of all the programs I said above, they all worked perfectly in another account except for imovie.

Meaning I shouldn't do an install it must be something in the library that is making it do this, sort of like that blue screen deal.

imovie i dont' get why that still doesn't work. The rest of iLife works except for imovie and when I had the older verson it worked just fine.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It might be easiest to migrate your basic data across to the new account rather than trying to find the culprit file or files.

15. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I think I may have to do that. What i've noticed is when I upgrade it ends up working, which I got a lot of good programs to work. If I continue to do that it works fine. Out of the programs I use the only ones I still can't access is Adium and Yahoo messenger (there are others but I still need to upgrade them) and I upgraded those but i am getting su[pport on t hem hopefully to get it fixed.

If all else fails I will probably do that.

could uninstalling it and reinstalling it make it work?

16. Matari macrumors member

17. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i did a upgrade

and leopard deleted all my apps