Map a NAS from MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tlawski, May 25, 2008.

1. tlawski macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just bought a DLink-323 NAS but I have no idea how to set it up so that I can see and permanently map the drive from my MBP?

I'm sure someone has done this before so if you could provide me directions I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

once you have it setup, why not make a simple script to mount it at boot time?

I have a script (that checks which WLAN the MBA is hooked into first) and then issues the following;

mount_smbfs //10.10.10.10:/public Desktop/NAS

<where 10.10.10.10 is my NAS IP, :/public is the NAS share folder and Desktop/NAS is an empty directory used as a mount point>

Save the script as a .command file (eg I have in my home folder mount_nas.sh.command) and in system prefs/users/login items > add it to be run.

Thats my solution, there is probably a simpler one, but I am a unixy person so this makes simple sense to me

3. donmei macrumors regular

Cant you just browse to the network resource and then drag it into the sidebar?

4. tlawski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I'm a new Mac user so what you're suggesting sounds great...but unfortunately, I'm gonna need to have my hand held.

Just how do I browse to the network resource?

A unix script would be great as well, but I think I need to figure out how to see the NAS first.

Thanks again