map application question - use as an atlas when running w/out WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by imm, Nov 1, 2008.

1. imm macrumors newbie

Hi -

Does anyone know either if there is an app out there, or if the google map app, can be used without wifi essentially as an atlas? I know the short answer is "yes," as I have done so before. But, here's a little more context.

The google map app seems to store the most recent visited area to the detail one has zoomed prior to leaving a wifi area. What I am more curios about is whether the app (or another) can essentially be used as a road atlas, such that it stores detail, for example, for an entire state in map form down to a detail level that it could be used, without wifi, to navigate, much like one would use a paper map or atlas. So, I i make a wrong turn in a region that I haven't explored recently with the map app, i could simply zoom in and figure out where i am.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

There are many threads on this already -- not saying that to scold, but if you search you may find some useful info. I think that the bottom line is there's no such application yet. Would definitely be nice, though.