Map Glance got worse in a way

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Mar 22, 2016.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

You could previously pull up the map glance and it would show you the travel time to your next calendar appointment or the next thing your iPhone determined you'd be going to (home/work). Now you have to pull out your iPhone and check notification center for travel time to the next appointment.

Am I missing something? I guess I feel that you can easily verbally tell the watch to "navigate home" and if your searching for nearby things, it is probably easier to just pull out the phone. Overall, it is probably worse/less useful/less of a glance. How do you like the new glance?

2. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

Not sure about this map update on watch, you have buttons for directions to home and work but every time I tap on then it tells me to update my card in contacts on my iphone. My cate has my home and work addresses but still it work work!!!

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I hate it as well. They introduced it easy in the 2.2 betas and I filed a radar saying I preferred the older glance as I used it a lot and it was actually useful. And it saved me from pulling out my phone, which is the entire point of the watch. Now I have to either tell Siri which is unreliable at times, or wait about a minute until the watch calculates the routes after I tap on "Home" or "Work"

Oh well.

4. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

So when you tap on home or work it actually works!!!
    All I get is this
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458675559.524487.jpg

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yep, it's working fine for me. Maybe force a resync in Apple Watch app on the iPhone -> General -> Reset -> Reset Sync Data

Also make sure that in Settings on the iPhone -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> My Info is set to your contact card. Ensure the same is set in Settings -> General -> Siri -> My Info

6. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

Yeah I have done all that, but it still don't work, since the update it seems that Siri (on the watch) don't know any details about me which it did before keeps telling me to setup/update details on iphone.

7. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Works on my watch. Also has the "nearby" button that leads to categories like Restaurant, Gas, etc.

8. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I like the nearby button but would have preferred if you got the old info on the maps glance and the nearby option with a force touch.

9. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is exactly how they should have done it.

Right now it does not provide glanceable information.

10. Mascots, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It's got gimped.

The old glance learned my habits perfectly and I could swipe up to get an ETA and traffic map. This one is utterly useless and strips what Proactive functionality the watch had.

Unlike every other glance, it presents absolutely no information anymore. Just shortcut buttons. Bah.

11. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess we should all provide feedback on the website. Would someone like to prepare a concise description of our preference? Then we can all leave feedback for Apple at

http://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

12. sideman7 macrumors newbie

I thoroughly agree. What they have now is not a glance, and goes against their own explanation for the purpose of glances. I used the old version a lot for checking traffic. What they have now is pointless, and should only be in the maps app when you open it.

13. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm glad it seems that most people agree, I wasn't sure if I was in the minority.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm actually using the Maps glance now that Apple added the Home and Work buttons.

Before:

Open maps on iPhone
    clear out address bar
    press directions arrow
    choose home
    tap start

Now:

Go to maps glance on watch
    tap home (launches maps app on iPhone with navigation started to home)

PS: I know I can ask Siri but I don't want to.

15. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, please request the map glance change here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

I have prepared the following request, feel free to use it as well:

Hello,

I am writing to request that you either restore the previous Maps glance for the Watch, or you come up with a new hybrid glance that incorporates the old functionality and the new shortcuts.

As it currently stands the Maps glance offers no glanceable information and is in fact less useful for quick maps information.

Previously I could quickly look at the Maps glance and see the travel time and traffic information for my next appointment, or the next location iOS had figured out I was headed (home/work/frequent locations).

There is now no way to get this quick and useful information, unless I go to the iPhone Notification center.

The glance is essentially a shortcut to the Maps app now. While the buttons are nice, I can just as quickly say, "Hey Siri, navigate home."

16. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

But that's the entire issue for me - I don't need directions home, but traffic conditions determine the path that I take home.

Before, I could just open the glance and it would know that I was most-likely heading home and would give me an ETA and traffic map. If I wanted more information, I could tap it and launch the app.
    Now, to actually get any information, I must tap either Home or Work to launch Maps and wait. What's worse is that the old glance gave you more than just those two options - it was successful at handling the multitude of places I visited regularly without my interaction. Sometimes it was wrong, but less often than not. No longer!

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

the navigation chooses the fastest route home. I know how to get home but I use the map to show me the ETA on both routes.

18. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

This new method involves launching the direction system in order to get any of that information, before it would preemptively give it to you. Plus the information itself is different, I don't want to know the time for the fastest way home, I want to know the ETA of the route I normally take home.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Gotcha.