map program for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dadio2002, May 25, 2007.

1. dadio2002 macrumors regular

dadio2002

On my pc I use Microsoft Streets and Trip and I find it pretty good. Is this available for mac? Any others you recommend?

2. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

What about Microsoft Virtual Earth????? ;)
    Seriously though, Google Earth works great
    on OSX. They did a great job optimizing it.

3. dadio2002 thread starter macrumors regular

dadio2002

can you enter streets and get directions and such?

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yep. You can overlay street names on the aerial photos too. As well as have 3D buildings etc. Webcams and wiki compatibility too. And its free. :)

5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

google earth is great, but i think at least a plug-in for a full featured trip planner will be what he may be asking for. i've been looking for that for a while now with no luck.

6. dadio2002 thread starter macrumors regular

dadio2002

ya google earth is great, but it doesnt entirely give me address to address directions.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Route 66 (Route USA 2004) is one, but I think it's PPC, and I don't know if it's been updated recently. But I can't say for certain since I haven't used it. Perhaps someone else here can tell you more about this product(?)

I just purchased MacGPS Pro but it's all about topo maps, not street maps and directions. It seems to work great with a supported GPS unit.

I use Google Maps for directions and street/highway maps.

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Route 66 works, but is a pitiful excuse for a mapping program. I have used it, and it is painful compared to the MUCH better Delorme Street Atlas. Have looked into Crossover so I can use Delorme, but alas, not supported last time I looked.

BTW -- Google Earth is great, but one needs an internet connection. Route 66 is standalone. So, that can be used in the car, for example.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

MacGPS Pro is standalone as well, you just won't get inactive directions unless you have an Net connection to pull in Google Earth/Maps data. But it does a good job of displaying your location "live" on maps, and displaying your route, speed, heading, attitude, etc.

MacGPS can import a variety of maps, USGS topo maps, etc., or you can create your own maps. You can then store the maps locally, on the notebook's hard drive, CD, etc. MacGPS works fine with a cheap $30 NMEA 183 GPS unit plugged into a Macbook. When I'm tooling around in the rural backcountry in my Jeep, or backpacking into a virtual wilderness, I don't need street directions -- my "streets" are usually dry creek beds or long abandoned stagecoach roads. :)

This combo works fine for my (offroad) needs. But it appears OS X really needs a good interactive mapping/directions application for city/highway navigation that doesn't require a constant Internet connection.

10. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Hello all,

I am new here and have posted a few times in another section (I am getting a Macbook shortly).

Switching from a Windows based laptop to a Mac has been a little scary for me partly because of the topic discussed here. I LOVE MS Streets and Trips. I mean, LOVE it. I bought the 2006 version with the included USB GPS Locator Antennae. It turns your laptop into a standalone GPS unit in the car.

I have used it for several trips. No need to drop $300+ for a small suction mounted GPS receiver for your car. Just bring your laptop along (which you would probably do anyway), place the GPS antennae receiver on your dash, open up Streets and Trips, and you are all set.

Well I could go on praising it, but you get the point.

I plan on looking into running Parallels on the new Macbook so I dont lose the Streets and Trips love affair I have.

I cant help but being shocked to the core, though, that Mac doesn't have some sort of "iMap" program. An included GPS receiver would be nice too.

Anyway, glad I found this place. :)

11. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

On the street level stuff I find an internet connection is all I need, but find Google Earth fantastic for planning, especially when you use it with KisMac.

Mind you still looking at marine software. I use a nice little bluetooth device from Holux that about the size of a matchbox with LED's that give decent and useful feedback.