Map reveals if your Internet traffic is being monitored by the NSA

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hack5190, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

A team of faculty and students from the University of Toronto created a new tool, called the IXmaps. This tool displays known paths used by data to travel while passing through internet exchanges that are physical locations utilized by ISPs (Internet Service Providers) and content delivery networks as hubs while handing off traffic between networks.

The interactive tool named Internet Exchange Mapping (IXmaps) shows if your data traffic passes through the NSA or not. IXmaps has also enlisted all the exchanges that the NSA uses as listening posts for the purpose of intercepting the data that passes through the transfer points.

These mapmakers pinpointed the locations of listening posts used by the NSA through the use of documents released by Edward Snowden.

Try it for yourself -> https://ixmaps.ca/

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I saw that the other day although I didn't use it much.

I DO find it interesting that there seems to be an NSA listening post in Phoenix.

3. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Nothing reported here in ABQ/NM but all major cities surrounding us are listed.

4. Hack5190 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

The information displayed on this site is a combination of the researchers that built it and from 3rd parties. As a result it is not a complete list. My home city was empty like RhianaB's.

Its important to know that if you don't see anything for your location presume that no information has been been submitted, not that your clean.

There is a simple trace route tool available on this site for download that will check your routes and add that information to the database. Overnight I had a MBP submitting information and now our city is on the map :D