Mapping a PC Drive on a MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redfire2002, Apr 30, 2007.

1. redfire2002 macrumors newbie

I have a folder on the server here at work and shared it with full access.

now i goto go---> connect to server --- type in the address smb://192.168.1.183/MAC.Artwork ----> get prompted to enter in a user name and password and i use the administrator password for our network. Doing that i get the folling error "An error has occurred (error = -5000)." now from research i think that error is an "Access Denied" error but when it asks for a login i use the administrator username and password of the network so really it should work.

maybe im missing something since i am a newbie on the mac. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
    Trevor

**Forgot to mention that the network is a domain network.**

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Everything you're doing is correct. Make sure you're typing in the password exactly like its supposed to be. So if starts with a capital letter put in a capital letter. Also, if you have access to do this, maybe create a new administrator account, or make one of the accounts have access to that folder and try it. Sometimes its a real pain in the butt connecting to PC drives but I do it all the time at work. Mine automatically show up in the Network section of Finder. But make sure you're typing the password in exactly like its supposed to be.

I'm also not a fan of the MAC.Artwork. The (.) in between may confuse things.

Just an FYI, its Mac not MAC! :p Us Mac people hate MAC spelled that way. hehe

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Might need to add @domain.com at the end of your username or do domain\username in the username space.

4. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

You are doing everything right. I have found that Macs accessing Windows dirves is a big mess. For starters, when you navigate the filesystem you will pollute it unless you take the necessary action.

It is a random behavior - I have gotten to the point where it asks me for username/password, enter it and it then asks me for a network share to mount. When I select it, it tells me that the alias cannot be found...WTF!?!? :confused:

This is so frustrating that I just ended up mounting an FTP server in 2K3 to access it from my Mac. Or I just enable Windows sharing and access the Mac drive from a Windows PC.