mapping "delete" key?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slug420, Feb 24, 2008.

1. slug420 macrumors regular

is there a way i can map the delete key on my keyboard so that when i press it (in finder) it moves the item to the trash, or deletes it entirely?

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Why not just use Cmd+Delete?

3. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

i wish i could map a sleep-display button, currently the only way i can find is a hot corner...

4. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

do you mean cmd-backspace? I wasnt aware cmd-delete worked...maybe it does...either way cmd-delete is two keys, "delete" is one.

why not just use the delete key?

5. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Er, I was just offering a solution in case you didn't realise Cmd+delete worked for that; I wasn't trying to be rude. I don't have a backspace key, by the way, it's just delete on mine, but they're the same key, yes.

6. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok...I appreciate your effort then :)

7. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

8. jeffmc macrumors 6502

is it a huge deal to hit a second key with your thumb while hitting delete?

it's probably a better idea because there's no telling how many times you'll hit that button by accident and you'll spend more time digging through the trash to find whatever you accidentally deleted than you would be hitting an extra key

9. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

yea....it is a huge deal to have to hold another button while pressing a second when there exists a button on my keyboard specifically designed for performing that function.

If its so convenient to press two buttons at once why dont I need to hold the cmd key when typing? Wouldnt it be easier to hold cmd and press the letters than to just press the letters?

I can only assume the second part of your post is a joke. That\s li\ke sa\ying the bac\kslash sh\oul\d be cmd-backsl\ash al\so becau\se who\ know\s h\o\w oft\en i mi\ght pres\s it by ac\c\id\ent wh\ile typing. OH MAN, WHY COULDNT APPLE SAVE ME FROM THAT HORROR.

seriously, I have only been using computers for 15 years and cant think of a single instance where I accidentally deleted a file that I wished i hadnt. I cant even remember the last time (on any OS) that I recovered something from the trash (which I usually just disable outright) so I dont think all the time spent recovering accidentally deleted items from the trash would have a significant impact on my life.

Do you find yourself constantly pressing backspace at random while in finder and being saved by the fact that you have to also hold down cmd for it to actually do anything? Maybe you could get a little plastic safety cover to put over your backspace key...

[​IMG]

10. jeffmc macrumors 6502

but hitting one extra key would?

stop wasting everyones time and being rude

11. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

As I mentioned earlier...if holding a second key is so easy why arent you required to hold an extra key when typing? Obviously it is possible to press 2 keys at once, but also obvious is that it is less convenient than pressing just one key. I dont need training wheels on my delete function.

I disagree with your assertion that by asking a question I am "wasting everyone's time"....I am looking for a solution to a problem I have and the only one that has been presented thus far is

"your problem isnt actually a problem. You are wrong and dont actually want to do what you are asking to be able to do."

thats not a solution unless its accompanied by a jedi hand wave.

12. jeffmc macrumors 6502

maybe that should tell you something

if you want a real answer.. google "automator"
    with one button you can delete until your heart desires and even empty the trash since your god's gift to temporary deletes.

13. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

It tells me that I often get more of the "mac elitist ******** attitude" (quoting another mac and PC user who read this thread) than I do useful solutions or answers.

I think most questions in the "Mac Basics" forums could be answered with "google it" but people usually post here looking for answers as opposed to links to google.com

That being said, I just googled automator and (as one would expect) got a ton of results. I am not sure which of those outlines how to map the delete key to deleting a file though. If you could link me to it that would be appreciated. Thanks:)

14. jeffmc macrumors 6502

http://www.macshareware.com/download/automator_virtual_input

you can create your own function in automator that basically says:

When I hit 'delete'

do... something

that something could be delete selected files.

15. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular